"My Kind of Town!" Whangarei by Kiwigirlie

Whangarei Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 86 photos

My Home Town

I spent the first 22 years of my life here and I intend to move back and be as close as possible to this place. Some people (including the Lonely Planet guide Book on NZ) don't find this place very interesting... Well that's fine with me, the more the tourists stay away, the happier I'll be! To me, it's a special place and if you know where to look, a place with lots of character, charm, scenery and good places to eat! Plus it's the gateway to a magical part of NZ. An area that isn't explored enough by the average traveller. Most people hit Auckland and go south. If you want fantastic empty beaches all to yourself, swim with dolphins for free, see some amazing Kauri forests, eat wonderful seafood, meet friendly salt of the earth people - then Whangarei and Northland is the place to go!

• Pros:Sunny, Beaches, Food, Scenery, Nice people - what more could you want?
  • Cons:Might be boring to some.
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2004

• Scotlands_Glory's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 1:34 AM

What a brilliant place

• kiwi_goddess's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2004 at 8:05 AM

Hi Denise, I've just been looking at your HP on Whangarei and i've been busy proving "lonely planets guide book" wrong lol. There is ample stuff here to see and do depending on our interests right? Nice to see someone else who appreciates WHG :-)

Kiwigirlie

“HAPPY TRAVELS!!!”

Badges & Stats in Whangarei

Have you been to Whangarei?

Latest Activity in Whangarei