"Beaumaris is Not that Boring!" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris by lomi
Beaumaris Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 136 photos
This tiny coastal village is located on the Isle of Anglesey in North Wales. It has many award winning restaurants, authentic old pubs and a host of small specialty shops that make this an interesting town to visit. All evening in the warmer months of the year, people stroll along the winding streets and absorb the atmosphere.
If you have more than a day to spend in this area check into a local hotel or guest house and explore the town as well as my off the beaten-track tips.
May is festival time.
August is Beaumaris' best month for things to do.
It coincides with the Regatta held on the Menai Straits and hosted by The Royal Anglesey Yacht Club. Accommodation gets booked up around the middle of August.
The historic town of Beaumaris came into being by a Royal Charter from King Edward 1 in 1296. Named after Beau Maris the French for Beautiful Marsh. Edward I built his magnificant castle and got rid of all Welsh inhabitants in one foul swoop, by forcing them to go and live in nearby Newborough.
In Tudor times, Beaumaris merchants brought goods from around the world to this town, then then shipped them on to mainland, making a lot of money in the process. That is why, compared with the rest of Anglesey there are so many grand houses and properties here.
Over many years and with the building of the Menai suspension Bridge the town of Beaumaris became less important as a trading centre as people on the island could travel further afield in search of consumer goods. The Victorian's rediscovered its romantic aspirations and flocked here for sailing, the seaside and the dramatic scenery.
- Pros:prettiest village in Anglesey
- Cons:very busy during july and august
- In a nutshell:A weekend should do it
The island has over 25 attractive golden beaches, there are six Blue flag beaches, 13 Green Coast Award beaches, and... more travel advice
It might be the longest named town in Britain. (58 letters long) You can buy a platform ticket with the name of the... more travel advice
Some people think it's the most beautiful castle in all of Wales and no doubt the biggest draw for tourists. It is... more travel advice
- See All Books on Beaumaris
- See All Nautical Hotel theme
- Welsh Language
- See All Beaumaris Bends
lomi's Related Pages
Beaumaris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beaumaris is Not that Boring!"
- "A Great Castle Town"
- "A short return trip to Wales"
- "Rather good castle........"
- "beaumaris castle and views"
- "Beaumaris on the tranquil island of Anglesey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beaumaris
- Hotels in Beaumaris
- Restaurants in Beaumaris
- Shopping in Beaumaris
- Warnings and Dangers in Beaumaris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beaumaris
- 31 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Beaumaris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaumaris
- Posted in Travel Liverpool Forum "Which is the station I want if I..."
- Wrote a Review New Year Fireworks in Beaumaris Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "I dare you to buy a Welsh Dragon"
- updated a Beaumaris Travel Page "Beaumaris is Not that Boring!"
- Commented on one of crazytracylady's Beaumaris travel pages
Photos in BeaumarisSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 145 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llandudno Intro, 56 reviews, 34 photos
- Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris Intro, 31 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Arrecife Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Clun Intro, 17 reviews, 8 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 15 reviews, 6 photos
- Oswestry Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos