"I Love Ludlow" Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow by lomi
Ludlow Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 77 photos
Ludlow has more restaurants per person than any other place in Britain. It has almost 500 listed* buildings (*officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance).
A stroll through the Medieval and Tudor streets is a stroll into the past. From the Feathers Hotel (built in 1619), with its timber frames and decorative carving to Broad Street and its parade of shops ( including De Grey's famous tearooms). Its cobbled streets and old buttermarket give it a timeless fascination if you like old buildings.
Ludlow's history really begins in 1086 when the castle was built overlooking the rivers Teme and Corve. It was one of a line of castles being constructed at the time along the Marches to keep out the Welsh. The town plan was laid out soon afterwards.
Ludlow has held street markets since the twelfth century. Nowadays, a traditional open-air market, takes place in the town square (Castle Street) every Monday, Friday and Saturday throughout the year. My favorite place to stroll and sample delicious food.
One of the highlights of a trip to Ludlow is the Local Produce Market . Written about more extensively in my Ludlow shopping guide.
John Betjeman rightly described Ludlow as ‘the loveliest town in England’ and I fully agree.
- Pros:A must go place for foodies and history buffs
One of the highlights of a trip to Ludlow is the Local Produce Market (or farmers' market). These stalls are handily... more travel advice
I love this ancient town with its spired church. In 1999 St Laurence's was one of only 18 churches given a FIVE STAR... more travel advice
lomi's Related Pages
Ludlow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ludlow - very, very tasty!"
- "Why aren't there a thousand entries on Ludlow?"
- "Ludlow - England"
- "I Love Ludlow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ludlow
- Hotels in Ludlow
- Transportation in Ludlow
- Nightlife in Ludlow
- Restaurants in Ludlow
- Shopping in Ludlow
- Warnings and Dangers in Ludlow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ludlow
- 10 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Ludlow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ludlow
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 145 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llandudno Intro, 56 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris Intro, 31 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Arrecife Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Clun Intro, 17 reviews, 8 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 15 reviews, 6 photos
- Oswestry Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Ludlow hotel reviews
- Dinham Hall Hotel
- 207 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- The Charlton Arms
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Overton Grange Hotel & Spa
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- The Feathers Hotel Ludlow Ltd
- 337 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Cecil Guest House
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013
- Travelodge Ludlow Hotel
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013