"Why go to Margate?" Top 5 Page for this destination Margate by lomi
Margate Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 103 photos
My reason for visiting Margate was to see the Tracey Emin exhibition, at the Turner Contemporary. It is located on the sea-front next to the visitor and information centre. The building itself would look more at home in an urban setting, but here it is jutting off the harbour wall like a huge modern art mollusc.
Tracey used to live in Margate and is famous for her unmade bed. But this exhibition focuses on her recent work and although not erotic it certainly contains a lot of nude drawings, mostly of Tracey herself. The media she works in includes watercolours, sculptures, drawings, photographs, tapestries and embroidery.
The exhibition is free but for a small charge there is an audio guide to the exhibition with short commentaries by Tracey.
Opposite the Turner Contemporary is a small area of interesting shops, artists studios, bars and restaurants. Well worth a half days visit.
I walked from the railway station to the Turner Contemporary and found most of the town looking abandoned, with many shops boarded up. All the trappings of Margate as a seaside holiday spot are missing except the lovely beaches of course.
- Pros:Gaining in reputation as an artisans area
- Cons:Abandoned shops and arcades are depressing
- In a nutshell:Worth a day trip to the seaside or to the artists areas
Theatre Royal in Addington Street is the second oldest theatre in the country a year round listing of shows is available... more travel advice
I had no idea when I arrived in Margate, that Cliftonville is a good 45 minute walk from the railway station. I dragged... more travel advice
lomi's Related Pages
Margate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Margate - by the sea!"
- "GRANT IN MARGATE."
- "Why go to Margate?"
- "A fading glory."
- "Margate, England"
- "MARGATE BY THE SEA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Margate
- Hotels in Margate
- Transportation in Margate
- Nightlife in Margate
- Restaurants in Margate
- Shopping in Margate
- Warnings and Dangers in Margate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Margate
- 8 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Margate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Margate
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 145 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llandudno Intro, 56 reviews, 34 photos
- Wales Intro, 32 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris Intro, 31 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Arrecife Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Clun Intro, 17 reviews, 8 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 15 reviews, 6 photos
- Oswestry Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos