Besalú Restaurant Tips by lomi
Besalú Restaurants: 4 reviews and 4 photos
The architecture is the first thing that struck me about this lovely find. We walked in off the streets to what looks like an old wine cellar. The bar is at the bottom of some stone steps under an enormous archway and the restaurant is through patio doors to another area. I would love to know the history of the building
Each time we have visited (4 times in all) it has been winter. But the menu and wine list never fails to surprise.
Amazing! you must go
Favorite Dish: Pork is a real favourite in Catalan cuisine and Curia Real have many dishes on the menu. They also offer a set meal for around 12 euros with wine, which is exceptional value.
Address: La Llibertat, 17850 Besalu,
Comparison: about average
Phone: +34 972590482
I have described some of the Catalan dishes you may see in Besalù
Arrós Negre - Squid cooked in its own ink with rice, peas, red peppers, garlic and onion. This dish is claimed to have originated in L'Empordá in northern Catalonia, but this might be disputed by Valencians.
Allioli - emulsified olive oil and garlic
Butifara amb seques - is fried white sausages with the white beans popular in Catalonia.
Bunyols de bacalla - salt cod fritters
Coca - Catalan "pizza" tart
Crema Catalana - the classic dessert of Catalonia and popular all over Spain, may have been the origin of creme brulee.
Embutidos - platter of sliced sausage and meats.
Escalivada - peppers, tomato, aubergine and onion , all roasted in a little olive oil.
Fuet - sausages of dried meat.
Fideus - a "spaghetti" based dish, imagine a paella made with pasta.
Frito Mallorquin - Mallorcan liver and vegetable fry.
Gambes amb pollastre - "Mar i muntanya" - prawn and chicken (a lobster and chicken form may be found). cooked in a piccata of almonds, garlic, herbs and saffron.
Pa amb oli - olive oil drizzled bread rubbed with (optional) tomato and garlic ( Mallorca ). This speciality is spreading across Spain as a tapa. Pa amb tomaquet is the mainland Catalan version
Pato con peras - duck with pears.
Romesco sauce - red pepper sauce.
Sarsuela (or Zarsuela) - seafood stew.
Suquet - fish or seafood and vegetable stew.
Sopa d'farigoli - thyme soup
Tumbet - Mallorcan aubergine, courgette and potato fry.
Xató - a salad of endives, anchovies and tuna (usually canned),olives and onions with a sauce of almonds or hazelnuts, garlic and ñoras. Served with small vegetable omelettes.
Favorite Dish: Everything!
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (3)
lomi's Related Pages
Besalú Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Besalú, Ciutat Comtal"
- "Small town with nice architecture"
- "Medieval Charm near the Costa Brava"
- "Stunningly Medieval Besalu"
- "Besalu - UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Besalú
- Hotels in Besalú
- Transportation in Besalú
- Restaurants in Besalú
- Warnings and Dangers in Besalú
- See All...
Explore the World
- New York State
- Lake Wylie Hotels
- Lancaster Hotels
- Kejimkujik National Park Hotels
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Tamalpais Valley Junction Hotels
Badges & Stats in Besalú
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Besalú?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Besalú
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 143 reviews, 99 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llandudno Intro, 55 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris Intro, 26 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Clun Intro, 17 reviews, 8 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 15 reviews, 6 photos
- Oswestry Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos
- Tarragona Intro, 10 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Besalú hotel reviews
- Hotel Comte Tallaferro
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2012