"Hemingways Pamplona" Pamplona by lomi
Pamplona Travel Guide: 214 reviews and 534 photos
Ernest Hemingway the writer (1899-1961) visited the Navarre and Pamplona in particular, between 1923 & 1959. His fascination with Pamplona began when he was a journalist reporting on the San Fermin festival (running of the bulls) in August 1923, for the first time for a Canadian newspaper.
He visited the city on another 9 occasions & wrote about it in his literary works. The Sun Also Rises was his first novel to mention the city. There are many references to the writer in Pamplona, especially the places he frequented, and there is now a route around the city dedicated to him.
His last visit, in 1959, came five years after winning the Nobel Prize for Literature and two years before his suicide in Ketchum (Idaho), on the eve of San Fermin. Pamplona paid tribute to the writer on the 6th of July 1968, there is a monument to him, made by Luis Sanguino on the Paseo next to the Bullring.
Pamplona is not just a load of bulls running wild!
Please, please, visit outside of the 7th - 14th of July and the San Fermin Fiesta. It is an incredibly vibrant, if small, cultured city, oozing with historic buildings, shady plazas, restaurants and bars, all year. I was also attracted by the fact that there are many green spaces, parks, and places to wander down by the river. Parking outside of the old city is free.
I sometimes judge a place by how safe I feel walking around alone as a woman. Pamplona hits all the right spots for me, so when my husband went off to the park with the dog, I felt completely happy wandering around alone for a couple of hours.
- Pros:Fantastic vibrant city all year
- Cons:Not just a load of bulls
There are many places to choose from at lunch time. We made our decision based on the fact that we had our doggy with... more travel advice
Spain's national railway company, Renfe operates trains from Abando Station, which connects with Abando underground... more travel advice
lomi's Related Pages
Pamplona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Surviving the Bull"
- "Run (away) with the bulls"
- "" The Camino Frances" (Part 1)"
- "San Fermin Encierros on Spanish TV."
- "WHEN BULLS ARE GONE"
- "Pamplona and San Fermin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pamplona
- Hotels in Pamplona
- Transportation in Pamplona
- Nightlife in Pamplona
- Restaurants in Pamplona
- Shopping in Pamplona
- Warnings and Dangers in Pamplona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pamplona
- 10 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Pamplona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pamplona
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 145 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llandudno Intro, 56 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris Intro, 31 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Arrecife Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Clun Intro, 17 reviews, 8 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 15 reviews, 6 photos
- Oswestry Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos