"Done Barcelona? Try Tarragona" Tarragona by lomi
Tarragona Travel Guide: 318 reviews and 716 photos
When thinking of Tarragona, think of combats, gladiators and wild animals. Think beaches and Spanish paseo.
Walk along the walls and buildings of the Forum, right in the centre of this old Roman city, with its columns, squares and amphitheater. It will transport you straght back to imperial Rome.
Some British people only go to Tarragona for the cheap booze, fags and Ryanair flights. But we chose this town over Barcelona one October weekend, where we couldn't find any accommodation) it was just an hour along drive along the beautiful coast to Tarragona.
Tarragona is divided into 3 distinct parts like the layers of a cake. The beach, the balcon medierraneo and the town. In the town some of the houses are built right on top of the roman remains. There is the 12th century Cathedral to see and the Archaeology Museum. as well as the impressive Roman amphitheatre.
The long Rambla Nova with shops and cafe/bars is fun to wander during the day. In the evenings indulge in the Spanish passion for 'paseo' and dress up and wish 'buenos noches' to passers by.
All that, and a lovely beach ... where we watched the combatants in a windsurfing competition....
The Romans selected Tarragona as the centre of their government in Spain and this makes it a huge open-air museum.
Once the ancient city of Tarraco, it was founded in 218 B.C., but it golden age was 26 B.C., when the Emperor Augustus moved there.
Walk along the impressive walls on the Archeological Walk, then to the ampthitheatre, which served for centuries as a place of entertainment, with combats with gladiators and wild animals and chariot races in the circus.
- Pros:Beaches and historic buildings
- Cons:Petrochemical industry nearby
- In a nutshell:Enough interest for a 2 day break
Santa Tecla & Castellers is held third week in September when Tarragona is filled with loud rock music and jazz,... more travel advice
Dont scream yet but Port Aventura, one of the biggest amusement parks in Europe is located in Vilaseca and Salou, just 9... more travel advice
lomi's Related Pages
Tarragona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of Tarraconensis"
- "Viva Tarragona !"
- "Extranero en Tarragona (+2 years)"
- "Tarragona – major Roman Empire’s colony in Spain"
- "Tarraco, civitas ubi ver aeternum est"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarragona
- Hotels in Tarragona
- Transportation in Tarragona
- Nightlife in Tarragona
- Restaurants in Tarragona
- Shopping in Tarragona
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarragona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarragona
- 10 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Tarragona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarragona
- Posted in Travel Isla de Lanzarote Forum "Re: Can you walk from Matagorda..."
- updated a Tarragona Travel Page "Done Barcelona? Try Tarragona"
- Commented on one of Ekaterinburg's Tarragona travel pages
- Wrote a Review June Corpus Christi festival in Tarragona Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fiesta- September"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 145 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llandudno Intro, 56 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beaumaris Intro, 31 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 24 reviews, 18 photos
- Jerez de la Frontera Intro, 21 reviews, 14 photos
- Isla de Fuerteventura Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Arrecife Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Clun Intro, 17 reviews, 8 photos
- Weymouth Intro, 15 reviews, 6 photos
- Oswestry Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Tarragona hotel reviews
- Le Meridien Ra Beach Hotel & Spa
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Estival Park Salou
- 856 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Golden Donaire Beach Hotel
- 508 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- F & G La Figuerola Golf Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 20, 2013
- Les Oliveres Beach Resort & Spa
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Hotel Placa de la Font
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Ciutat de Tarragona Hotel
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Husa Imperial Tarraco
- 131 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Catalunya Express
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 20, 2013
- Torre De La Mora
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Cambrils Park
- 237 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Mas Passamaner
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Eurostars Tarraco
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2013