"Visit Winchester in the Shanandoah Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by 807Wheaton
Winchester Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 121 photos
About two years ago we discovered that my husband's great-great grandfather was born in Winchester, Virginia. Shortly after that our daughter's husband was transferred from Charlotte to Winchester. We have had a great time discovering things about "Grandpa Ezra" during our frequent visits. Winchester is a nice size town nestled between the Allegheny mountains on the west and the BlueRidge Mountains on the east. It's really delightful that we can come here so often and that we enjoy it so much. Walking down the streets here is like a visit back to the late 1700's. It is still quaint downtown. Visitors here can see places that were involved in the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution and the Civil War. However, as with many suburban areas, Winchester is experiencing a boom of growth with new restaurants, shopping and hotels coming to the area. Many new neighborhoods continue to be developed. I would say the city is doing a good job of keeping downtown quite provincial while still promoting tourism and new locations.
Winchester is the birthplace of Patsy Cline and Admiral Richard E. Byrd. Byrd was born here in Winchester on October 25, 1888. There is a statue of him on Cameron Street by the Winchester Federick County Joint Judicial Center.
Try this address for good information about the town if you are going for a visit. And, I would advise at least a two or three night stay.
The best thing to do first when you start your visit in Winchester is go to The Winchester-Frederick County Visitors Center. It is housed in the Holllingworth Mill House which dates to 1833. The center offers an 18 minute video to help visitors get acquainted with the area.
The center is open every day, 9 to 5.
1360 Pleasant Valley Road.
540-662-4135 is the phone number.
Be sure to spend some time walking through downtown Winchester. There are many delightful local businesses and specialty shops here.
Downtown Winchester is a Pedestrian Mall, so parking will be available on the side streets, and parking is free on the weekend.
- In a nutshell:Just perfect for lunch and a stroll.
Creekside Station is a very nice shopping area in the Kernstown area of Winchester. It is right across from the Newell... more travel advice
Jim Barnett Park provides a big area for Little League Baseball teams to play ball in the summer months. The building in... more travel advice
807Wheaton's Related Pages
Winchester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Winchester in the Shanandoah Valley"
- "More history than I expected--Winchester"
- "A Big Apple"
- "Basaic Winchester Page"
- "Winc City Virginia"
- "Apple Blossom Festival, 2002"
- "talan's new Winchester page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winchester
- Hotels in Winchester
- Nightlife in Winchester
- Restaurants in Winchester
- Shopping in Winchester
- Warnings and Dangers in Winchester
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winchester
- 21 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Winchester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winchester
- updated a Winchester Travel Page "Visit Winchester in the Shanandoah Valley"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Glen Burnie Historic House - Highly Recommended"
- Posted in Travel Hungary Forum "Re: Using Currency in Hungary and..."
- Wrote a Review Nice shopping and eating area in Creekside Station in Winchester Restaurants
Photos in WinchesterSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos