"Visit Winchester in the Shanandoah Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester by 807Wheaton

Winchester Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 115 photos

Winchester's HIstory

About two years ago we discovered that my husband's great-great grandfather was born in Winchester, Virginia. Shortly after that our daughter's husband was transferred from Charlotte to Winchester. We have had a great time discovering things about "Grandpa Ezra" during our frequent visits. Winchester is a nice size town nestled between the Allegheny mountains on the west and the BlueRidge Mountains on the east. It's really delightful that we can come here so often and that we enjoy it so much. Walking down the streets here is like a visit back to the late 1700's. It is still quaint downtown. Visitors here can see places that were involved in the French and Indian Wars and the American Revolution and the Civil War. However, as with many suburban areas, Winchester is experiencing a boom of growth with new restaurants, shopping and hotels coming to the area. Many new neighborhoods continue to be developed. I would say the city is doing a good job of keeping downtown quite provincial while still promoting tourism and new locations.
Winchester is the birthplace of Patsy Cline and Admiral Richard E. Byrd. Byrd was born here in Winchester on October 25, 1888. There is a statue of him on Cameron Street by the Winchester Federick County Joint Judicial Center.
www.winchesterva.com
Try this address for good information about the town if you are going for a visit. And, I would advise at least a two or three night stay.
The best thing to do first when you start your visit in Winchester is go to The Winchester-Frederick County Visitors Center. It is housed in the Holllingworth Mill House which dates to 1833. The center offers an 18 minute video to help visitors get acquainted with the area.
The center is open every day, 9 to 5.
1360 Pleasant Valley Road.
540-662-4135 is the phone number.

Historic Downtown

Be sure to spend some time walking through downtown Winchester. There are many delightful local businesses and specialty shops here.
Downtown Winchester is a Pedestrian Mall, so parking will be available on the side streets, and parking is free on the weekend.

• In a nutshell:Just perfect for lunch and a stroll.
  • Last visit to Winchester: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 11:33 AM

The home architecture is wonderful there, and you did a nice job of telling the history of the people that came here, or lived there. Nice comments and pictures.

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Great page! Very helpful as I'm looking for info on Winchester and the area. thanks-

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2010 at 3:04 AM

What a nice town Winchester is. Would find it very interesting visiting all those historic homes and seeing the antique furniture, sounds delightful!

• no1birdlady's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Very good pages on Winchester. I never realized it was such an interesting place.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2006 at 10:48 PM

I do NOW!! Great pic of you 2!!...I must go and see her new shop...she talked about this with me for a year or so before she brought it into fruition.~

• Mandy23's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 10:33 AM

Very good and interesting tips. Thanks for sharing!

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2005 at 9:42 AM

HI Marcia, I enjoyed your Winchester page - beautiful photos!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 1:13 PM

Hi Marcia. Being a history buff I especially enjoyed this great page. It's been a few years since I was in Winchester. Today is HOT in Ohio. I'll bet you're steaming in Augusta.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2005 at 7:12 PM

Marcia, What terrific photogrpahy & tips for Winchester, VA. We are heading to VA in the fall but we will be on the coast (Greenbackville) Kat

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2005 at 10:47 AM

Hi Marcia Lovely buildings here - very quaint & historic place - good work

807Wheaton Visits Here Frequently!

807Wheaton

“Man plans but God prevails.”

Badges & Stats in Winchester

Have you been to Winchester?