"Historic Lexington, Virginia" Lexington by 807Wheaton
Lexington Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 156 photos
Lexington's rich heritage means you can visit a city where George Washington, Robert E. Lee, Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson and George C.Marshall have been a part of local history.
When walking through the town, it's very similar to Leesburg and Winchester in that it is like walking back through time. In this very neat and clean 19th Century college town the streets are hilly and full of well-preserved buildings.
To me this would be a perfect place to come for a weekend getaway.
There are several very nice inns and the Hampton Inn looks really great if you enjoy the amenities of the Hilton family. There are quaint, cozy restaurants all up and down the streets. It's easy to amble along through the town, stopping in here and there at the different places on the walking tour. Much of the history of Lexington begins in the late 1700's with significant architectual development in the early 1800's.
This has got to be a stop on any history buff's tour of the Southern Campaign. There is plenty here in the beautiful Shennandoah Valley to do for several days. Lexington would also be the ideal place to use as home base for day trips - one of my favorite things to do!
- Pros:A neat little town tucked in the Shennandoah Valley
- Cons:None that I noticed as a tourist
- In a nutshell:Lexington would be perfect for a home base for day trips in the Shennandoah Valley
You'll need to click on the picture to really see how neat this Hampton Inn is. An old manor house is used for part of... more travel advice
807Wheaton's Related Pages
Lexington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Lexington, Virginia"
- "LEXINGTON - WHERE SOUTHERN GIANTS REST"
- "North of Charlottesville"
- "We visited Historic Lexinton Virginia"
- "FreeCloud's new Lexington Page"
- "Our Latest Virginia Mill Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lexington
- Hotels in Lexington
- Transportation in Lexington
- Restaurants in Lexington
- Warnings and Dangers in Lexington
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lexington
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Lexington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington
Photos in LexingtonSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Latest Lexington hotel reviews
- Hampton Inn Lexington - Historic District
- 309 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Sleep Inn & Suites
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Economy Inn Lexington
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- A Bed and Breakfast at Llewellyn Lodge
- 166 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Days Inn Lexington, N Lee Highway
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013