"A visit to Fredericksburg, Texas" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by 807Wheaton
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 660 photos
We drove to Fredericksburg from Padre Island. We took the scenic route through Bandera and hoped to see some bluebonnets in the Wildflower area, but we did not. On Hwy 16 we started seeing big Post Oak trees with the ball moss in them. We saw many homes made from Limestone and drove on several hairpin curves. We also saw several nice resevoirs from a small river. We also saw many large ranches for sale on this route. This area reminded me of the topography we saw in areas in Spain. Do Olive trees grow in Texas? We also saw lots of goats on this drive. We pulled into Fredericksburg about 3:30, and check-in at our hotel was 3PM so that was good. Now we can start exploring in Fredericksburg.
Founded by German Immigrants in 1846, Fredericksburg is bigger than I thought it would be. The classic rock buildings have been nicely restored into places to shop and eat. We visited the Visitor's Center which stays open until 6 PM. They are very helpful there. The highlight of this trip for my husband was our visit to Wildseeds Farm, just 7 miles outside of Fredericksburg. We spent all of a morning and part of an afternoon there.
I am really glad we spent two nights here - I didn't feel rushed.
There are several museums here and several good day trips. We visited the LBJ Ranch and National Park and we drove the 13 mile Willow City Loop. We visited on a year the wildflowers were not abundant but we enjoyed our drive through canyon and ranch country. At times the road dipped into streams and traveled through hairpin turns where we encountered cattle grazing "open range".
Once again the weather was really cooperating and we enjoyed sunny mid 70s temperatures for these days.
- Pros:Great restored Texas town
- Cons:we didn't notice any
- In a nutshell:Nice place for two days of exploring and day trips
Thinking back on our visit to the LBJ Ranch, I'm really glad we took the tour and had a chance to see a ranch in Texas.... more travel advice
The home of President and Mrs. Johnson is not open to the public yet. Since Mrs. Johnson's death, work has started on... more travel advice
807Wheaton's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fredericksburg-A Charming and Historic Town"
- "Beautiful Hill Country"
- "A visit to Fredericksburg, Texas"
- "FREDERICKSBURG, TEXAS"
- "Welcome to China Bayles territory"
- "Fredericksburg, Texas"
- "Welcome to the Capital of the Hill Country!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Transportation in Fredericksburg
- Nightlife in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 16 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
Photos in FredericksburgSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos