"A visit to Fredericksburg, Texas" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by 807Wheaton

Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 660 photos

Lots to see and eat here

We drove to Fredericksburg from Padre Island. We took the scenic route through Bandera and hoped to see some bluebonnets in the Wildflower area, but we did not. On Hwy 16 we started seeing big Post Oak trees with the ball moss in them. We saw many homes made from Limestone and drove on several hairpin curves. We also saw several nice resevoirs from a small river. We also saw many large ranches for sale on this route. This area reminded me of the topography we saw in areas in Spain. Do Olive trees grow in Texas? We also saw lots of goats on this drive. We pulled into Fredericksburg about 3:30, and check-in at our hotel was 3PM so that was good. Now we can start exploring in Fredericksburg.

Lots of shops and restaurants

Founded by German Immigrants in 1846, Fredericksburg is bigger than I thought it would be. The classic rock buildings have been nicely restored into places to shop and eat. We visited the Visitor's Center which stays open until 6 PM. They are very helpful there. The highlight of this trip for my husband was our visit to Wildseeds Farm, just 7 miles outside of Fredericksburg. We spent all of a morning and part of an afternoon there.
I am really glad we spent two nights here - I didn't feel rushed.
There are several museums here and several good day trips. We visited the LBJ Ranch and National Park and we drove the 13 mile Willow City Loop. We visited on a year the wildflowers were not abundant but we enjoyed our drive through canyon and ranch country. At times the road dipped into streams and traveled through hairpin turns where we encountered cattle grazing "open range".
Once again the weather was really cooperating and we enjoyed sunny mid 70s temperatures for these days.

• Pros:Great restored Texas town
  • Cons:we didn't notice any
  • In a nutshell:Nice place for two days of exploring and day trips
  • Last visit to Fredericksburg: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 26, 2008

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM

This is a great little page. I had never head of Fredericksburg, TX, but it sounds like a nice little town, especially the Presidential history.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM

What an enjoyable page with dynamic photos and informative tips. great place to stay. Since I love history, I enjoyed all the LBJ information.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Texas really has some hidden places to search out, even if LBJ was here. This is one I never heard of and been to Plano before. You did a nice job of discussing the town and sites

• Rich62's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 11:00 AM

The Altdorf is our favorite restaurant in Fredericksburg. We have been to the Wildseed farms but never thought about eating there so glad to get that information.

• mistyeastham's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Next time you go stay at the Hoffman Haus. It is the best B&B ever.........

807Wheaton

“Man plans but God prevails.”

Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg

Have you been to Fredericksburg?