"A Soddie on the edge of the Badlands" Badlands National Park by 807Wheaton
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 414 photos
After teaching U.S. History to 5th graders for years, I wanted to see a real Soddie. When I researched the Badlands, I noticed there is a soddie there, right on the edge of the park. We drove east on Interstate 90 to the Badlands from Rapid City. Oue first stop was at Wall for lunch and the 5 cents a cup coffee. We also stopped at Grasslands National Park Information Center outside Wall. Very interesting. It set us up for the drive through the Badlands and the Buffalo Gap Grasslands area. From Wall we took Hwy 240 to Badlands National Park. We used our Golden Pass here. It was raining when we entered the park. The rain helped cool the temps a bit and really didn't cause any problems as there were good walks out to the viewing areas to see the rocks. What we noticed was the the strata on the outcroppings was verydistince because of the rain. The lines showed nicely. We competed the loop and went to the Prairie Homstead where we saw the soddie.
- Pros:More interesting than I thought it would be
- Cons:Not much to do here except see it!
807Wheaton's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- "Badlands - A place with "Rocks""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos