"Welcome to Edisto Island" Edisto Island by 807Wheaton

Edisto Island Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 42 photos

This island is great for shelling

It's a long drive through the "low country" and marshland until you cross the the bridge to Edisto Island. Anytime during the year there are leaves on the oak trees here so it's always pleasant. The main road takes you to Edisto State Park, which is where you can park and enjoy the beach. This island is noted for the abundance of shells on the beach at any time of the day. This beach is really quite different from Hilton Head and the other nearby beaches. There are jettys and pilings every two or three hundred feet making it necessary to walk around them when strolling on the beach. This was done as an effort to save the beach line from the encroaching erosion problem.

Other than the road that runs parallel to the ocean, all of the roads are canopied by live oak trees and palm trees. Very mysterious and engaging.

• Last visit to Edisto Island: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 25, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Long ago I used to visit here for pleasure and work. Nice place

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM

What a great presentation about the island. Since I have been there, I was thrilled to "see " it again through you eyes.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Lovely photos = & thanks for the tips! The beach looks wonderful I love to be by the sea & I love your description of the tree canopy

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 7:28 AM

Edisto is one of my all-time favorite haunts, although it's been a few years since I was there. When our family lived in Augusta we enjoyed several wonderful vacations on the island. Your tips make me wish I were there right now.

807Wheaton Visits Here Frequently!

807Wheaton

“Man plans but God prevails.”

Badges & Stats in Edisto Island

Have you been to Edisto Island?