"Augusta - More than Golf!" Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta by 807Wheaton

Augusta Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 177 photos

Play Augusta - Ranked #1 for housing!

Augusta, Georgia has been identified as the most affordable metro housing market in the U.S. Housing value continues to rise in the Augusta-Richmond County metro area, aka CSRA which includes Columbia, Burke, McDuffie, Aiken and Edgefield Counties and housing cost consumes only 17.4 percent of monthly income.
One word of warning! Once you're here - you can't get out if you don't save your money for a later purchase somewhere else.

As soon as we moved here people told us to be sure to try out a meal at Sconyer's. We had never had REAL Southern Barbecue before. We have learned that every place in the South has their own version of Barbecue. We're glad we have some of the Best Barbecue here in Augusta.
Augusta has recently reworked the Botanical Gardens which are tucked away in the heart of downtown.

Augusta also has a minor league baseball team, The Augusta Greenjackets. Augusta is affilliated with the South Atlantic League.
Augusta's start in professional baseball began in 1885 when the Augusta Browns joined the Southern League. Ty Cobb began his professional career as a 17-year-old with the Augusta Tourists on April 26, 1904. The Royston, GA native married Charlotte Marion Lombard in 1908 and lived in Augusta until 1932 when he moved to California.

Augusta is also home to the Augusta Lynx a professional hockey team.

Bell Auditorium

Bell Auditorium has been the venue for celeberties and shows since the 1930's. Brenda Mae Tarpley AKA Brenda Lee was discovered here in 1956. Others on the list who either were born here or lived parts of their lives here include:

Lawrence Fishburn, Amy Grant, Larry Mize, Hulk Hogan aka Terry Bollea, Frank Yerby, Joe Penney, Janelle Taylor, Jessye Norman, Judy Woodruff, Archie Jordan, Butterfly McQueen, Oliver Hardy, James Brown, Emerson Boozer to name a few. These are the names I recognized. Quite a list!

The Augusta National on Washington Rd.

This is the entranceway to the very famous Augusta National Golf Course. Every April the "The Masters" is played here.
I hope you will check out all the wonderful things that are here to do and discover on my AUGUSTA page.

• Pros:Nice size town
  • Cons:Downtown struggles to keep up
  • In a nutshell:A comfortable place to raise a family and live your life.
  • Intro Updated Mar 4, 2008

• deebum25's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Hot Foods by Calvin is no longer there. There is another soul food place instead.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Marcia, My sister and her husband often go to the Augusta National. I will tell her about Hot Foods by Calvin because she loves red velvet and he love mac and cheese. The BBQ sounds wonderful too. I love southern cooking.

• mistyeastham's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Marcia, When is a good time to go to the Partridge Inn?

• kenari's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 6:12 AM

wish i'am now in augusta prepare my self for US open ...heheeh just a wild thought ...greeting from KL .

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 3:41 AM

Hi, Marcia! Thans for your brilliant pages! They bring me back my memories of the US!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 1:14 AM

The enterprice mills apartments looks very nice. Lovely way to keep the old buildings ;-)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 5:07 AM

Hi Marcia, it's been a while. Lots of great 5-star updates on this page since I visited it last. I love the history you include - very well researched and well written.

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 6:23 AM

while my apple cake is baking in the oven I have time to read & enjoy your perfect & interesting TIPS on Augustua, Marcia! Thanks a lot.... elisabeth

• Feb 9, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Looks like a great destination. Thank you for sharing. Greetings!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2005 at 9:12 AM

Great job Marcia Splendid updates & I loved the windows of the Sacred Heart Church

807Wheaton Lives Here!

807Wheaton

“Man plans but God prevails.”

Badges & Stats in Augusta

Have you been to Augusta?