"Augusta - More than Golf!" Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta by 807Wheaton
Augusta Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 177 photos
Augusta, Georgia has been identified as the most affordable metro housing market in the U.S. Housing value continues to rise in the Augusta-Richmond County metro area, aka CSRA which includes Columbia, Burke, McDuffie, Aiken and Edgefield Counties and housing cost consumes only 17.4 percent of monthly income.
One word of warning! Once you're here - you can't get out if you don't save your money for a later purchase somewhere else.
As soon as we moved here people told us to be sure to try out a meal at Sconyer's. We had never had REAL Southern Barbecue before. We have learned that every place in the South has their own version of Barbecue. We're glad we have some of the Best Barbecue here in Augusta.
Augusta has recently reworked the Botanical Gardens which are tucked away in the heart of downtown.
Augusta also has a minor league baseball team, The Augusta Greenjackets. Augusta is affilliated with the South Atlantic League.
Augusta's start in professional baseball began in 1885 when the Augusta Browns joined the Southern League. Ty Cobb began his professional career as a 17-year-old with the Augusta Tourists on April 26, 1904. The Royston, GA native married Charlotte Marion Lombard in 1908 and lived in Augusta until 1932 when he moved to California.
Augusta is also home to the Augusta Lynx a professional hockey team.
Bell Auditorium has been the venue for celeberties and shows since the 1930's. Brenda Mae Tarpley AKA Brenda Lee was discovered here in 1956. Others on the list who either were born here or lived parts of their lives here include:
Lawrence Fishburn, Amy Grant, Larry Mize, Hulk Hogan aka Terry Bollea, Frank Yerby, Joe Penney, Janelle Taylor, Jessye Norman, Judy Woodruff, Archie Jordan, Butterfly McQueen, Oliver Hardy, James Brown, Emerson Boozer to name a few. These are the names I recognized. Quite a list!
This is the entranceway to the very famous Augusta National Golf Course. Every April the "The Masters" is played here.
I hope you will check out all the wonderful things that are here to do and discover on my AUGUSTA page.
- Pros:Nice size town
- Cons:Downtown struggles to keep up
- In a nutshell:A comfortable place to raise a family and live your life.
William Few lived in the Columbia Co. Georgia area and was a signer of the U.S. Constitution and is buried here in St.... more travel advice
We read the reviews for The Taj of India and decided to try the lunch buffet so we could sample different items. It's... more travel advice
- See All Magnolia Lane at the Augusta National
- Ahh - Beautiful Magnolia Lane
- See All Drive across the Butt Bridge
807Wheaton's Related Pages
Augusta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Augusta - More than Golf!"
- "Augusta our neighbor"
- "Augusta by truck"
- "Loonbeam's Augusta GA Page"
- "Augusta is now my temporary home......."
- "Augusta National - The Masters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Augusta
- Hotels in Augusta
- Restaurants in Augusta
- Shopping in Augusta
- Warnings and Dangers in Augusta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Augusta
- 60 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Augusta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Augusta
- Wrote a Review St. Paul's Cemetery - Grave of William Few in Augusta Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "St. Paul's Cemetery - Grave of William Few"
- Commented on one of riorich55's Augusta travel pages
- Posted in Travel Hungary Forum "Re: Using Currency in Hungary and..."
- updated a Augusta Travel Page "Augusta - More than Golf!"
Photos in AugustaSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos