"Old Kiokee Baptist Church" Appling by 807Wheaton
Appling Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
We were priviledged to be able to attend a wedding in this church in May 2005. There is no heat and no air conditioning. Unless you can count funeral fans as air conditioning. The wide plank floors and hard rough wooden pews serve as a reminder of life for worshipers over 225 years ago. The grounds here are tree shaded and well manicured.
There are numerous picnic tables and plenty of space for outdoor acitvities. The church is no longer used for weekly services, but, is used for weddings and "homecoming" services.
Kiokee Baptist Church was founded by Rev. Daniel Marshall in 1772 in Appling, Georgia. The Reverend Marshall was an itinerant preacher from Connecticut who worked his way down the East Coast after New England's "Great Awakening" , a spiritual revivial begun in the 1730's.
Kiokee Baptist Church members still meet in Appling but at a modern, new sanctuary.
Lake Springs is about 6 miles south of Appling at Thurmond Lake. It is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers and has very... more travel advice
807Wheaton's Related Pages
Appling Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Appling
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Appling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Appling
Photos in ApplingSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos