"Bodie State Historic Park" Bodie by 807Wheaton
Bodie Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 106 photos
This town had a population of 10,000 people at one time. Today it looks much the same as it did over 50 years ago when the last residents left.
We finished up an afternoon there and when we left it was past sunset. As we were leaving, near the parking lot a park ranger had started a camp fire and was telling ghost stories about Bodie. The fire felt good because due to the elevation of 8375 feet it gets cold there, even in July.
There are no facilities at Bodie, but restrooms are located at the parking lot.
Bodie was foumded by Waterman S. Bodie when a major gold discovery occured here. The buildings are repaired every now and then to keep them preserved.
When we looked at the schoolhouse the map on the wall was still hanging there. If I could have walked in there and instructed a class on geography the map would have worked quite well, as so many of the countries have returned to their pre-1940 state.
Bodie State Historic Park is Northeast of Yosemite and South of Bridgeport. The last three miles are on an unsurfaced road. There are no stores there so take lots of film, and your own water.
It's pretty bleak there.
- In a nutshell:Neat place to visit
This spooky place had a ghost storyteller when we were there. The park ranger had a bonfire started by the park entrance... more travel advice
807Wheaton's Related Pages
Bodie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "B O D I E"
- "Bodie State Historic Park"
- "Bodie - the largest ghost town in the Western U.S."
- "A real ghost town!"
- "Visiting a Ghost town : Bodie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bodie
- Transportation in Bodie
- Restaurants in Bodie
- Warnings and Dangers in Bodie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bodie
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Bodie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bodie
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos