"Road Trip through Upstate New York" Top 5 Page for this destination New York State by 807Wheaton
New York State Travel Guide: 23,502 reviews and 53,798 photos
Several months ago, October 2009, I discovered that my 5th great grandfather was at Fort Ticonderoga in July 1777 as a Patriot in the American Revolution" - now I am waiting for DAR Confirmation! And here we are, in September 2010 almost 4 years since our visit. My application was accepted by the genealogists at the DAR in Washington, D.C.
We finally took our road trip through Upstate New York. While I was a working gal I made a list of places titled, "We'll do that when we retire".
One of the things I had to reconcile before we even left was the fact that New York State has so much to see and do that we couldn't possibly do it all in two weeks. I stuck pretty much to the original list and tried to insert as much into the route as possible. Even when we were in a place for two nights, like Hyde Park, we found that it was impossible to see all the things there.
I think if I lived within a 150 miles radius of the Hudson Valley I would be making trips every weekend to see all the historic and architectual sights that pop up around every turn in the road. Hope you enjoy this trip as much as we did!
We drove up Interstate 81 to Cortland and from there took highway 41 north to Skaneateles for our first stopping off point. We thought this town was about as charming as any we saw during our trip. It's obvious it has been discovered - big time!
A short 12 minute ferry trip across Lake Champlain to Vermont gave us an entire day to enjoy Shelburne Museum just south of Burlington. Like so many places, Shelburne had so much to offer we went back the next morning to see a few more of the things that interested us.
- Pros:Lots of beautiful countryside and sights
- Cons:We didn't encounter any cons on this trip
- In a nutshell:Take some time to explore New York from the top to the bottom!
We spent three days in Hyde Park and could not see all the things that are around there. I created a seaparte page for... more travel advice
The Homes on Huguenot Street definitely share the architctural heritage of the Hudson Valley. It's amazing to see the... more travel advice
807Wheaton's Related Pages
New York State Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New York State"
- "Ekahau on the HUDSON -- Hudson Valley New York"
- "Road Trip through Upstate New York"
- "Home in the Hudson River Valley"
- "I LOVE NEW YORK-THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY"
- "Welcome to New York State"
- "NY.... Home Sweet Home......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York State
- Hotels in New York State
- Transportation in New York State
- Nightlife in New York State
- Restaurants in New York State
- Shopping in New York State
- Warnings and Dangers in New York State
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York State
- 40 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to New York State?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York State
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination France Intro, 57 reviews, 181 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augusta Intro, 60 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 29 reviews, 93 photos
- Spain Intro, 25 reviews, 61 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 16 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination England Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Winchester Intro, 21 reviews, 39 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos