"Road Trip through Upstate New York" Top 5 Page for this destination New York State by 807Wheaton

New York State Travel Guide: 23,763 reviews and 54,708 photos

Abundance of places to see and visit

Several months ago, October 2009, I discovered that my 5th great grandfather was at Fort Ticonderoga in July 1777 as a Patriot in the American Revolution" - now I am waiting for DAR Confirmation! And here we are, in September 2010 almost 4 years since our visit. My application was accepted by the genealogists at the DAR in Washington, D.C.

We finally took our road trip through Upstate New York. While I was a working gal I made a list of places titled, "We'll do that when we retire".
One of the things I had to reconcile before we even left was the fact that New York State has so much to see and do that we couldn't possibly do it all in two weeks. I stuck pretty much to the original list and tried to insert as much into the route as possible. Even when we were in a place for two nights, like Hyde Park, we found that it was impossible to see all the things there.
I think if I lived within a 150 miles radius of the Hudson Valley I would be making trips every weekend to see all the historic and architectual sights that pop up around every turn in the road. Hope you enjoy this trip as much as we did!

Skakneateles - In the heart of the Finger Lakes

We drove up Interstate 81 to Cortland and from there took highway 41 north to Skaneateles for our first stopping off point. We thought this town was about as charming as any we saw during our trip. It's obvious it has been discovered - big time!

Lake Champlain and Vermont Sidetrip

A short 12 minute ferry trip across Lake Champlain to Vermont gave us an entire day to enjoy Shelburne Museum just south of Burlington. Like so many places, Shelburne had so much to offer we went back the next morning to see a few more of the things that interested us.

• Pros:Lots of beautiful countryside and sights
  • Cons:We didn't encounter any cons on this trip
  • In a nutshell:Take some time to explore New York from the top to the bottom!
  • Last visit to New York State: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 27, 2010

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 5:00 AM

Thanks once more. You seem to have followed the route we plan to take. Where there are campgrounds we'll use them, but your hotel tips and bits of history -lend options for rainy days and boring touristy sights. love history--love ferry boat

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2008 at 12:50 AM

You saw some interesting historical sites on this tour. Your tip on Martin Van Buren made me realize he is a president I have never known much about -- so I just googled him and read his biography in another tab. His opponents called him Martin van Ruin.

• Jun 30, 2008 at 7:38 PM

So sorry you were not able to have good weather,when you reach Oswego.Our fort and the views of the lake are very nice.Also our fort ontario is very interesting.

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Very nice tips and pages. we went to some of these places too. Check out our pages John and Gail in NJ

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 11:46 AM

looks like you had a nice time on your road trip. you were right in my back yard when you were in New Paltz. It's a great town

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 2:07 PM

Nice virtual tour of New York State Marcia = you have an excellent page here = loved the extra photos

• no1birdlady's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2006 at 4:41 PM

You certainly did manage to pack in a lot on your trip to NY. Nice pages. Anne

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 8:03 AM

very nice images and descriptions of some of our favorite upstate locations. Thanks for sharing. N>~!

807Wheaton

“Man plans but God prevails.”

Badges & Stats in New York State

Have you been to New York State?