"A Gallop Through Colorado" Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado by 807Wheaton

Colorado Travel Guide: 5,597 reviews and 11,830 photos

Mountains and more - Mountains

Lucky us! We have family that live on the Western Slope about 40 miles from Denver. We started visiting Colorado in 1974. Now we visit frequently to see our kith 'n kin. Gallop with me through the Rockies!

The long drive on Interstate 80

The picture above is what comes to most people's minds when they hear or think about Colorado. The East side of the state is very flat, brown and dry - certainly not "Colorful Colorado" here. It's a very long drive past the state line before the mountains come into view behind Denver. If you're lucky. On some days the mountains are not visible until you're right into Denver because of the smog.

Welcome to Sterling, Colorado

Miles and miles of cattle graze on the flat eastern side of Colorado.
The movie "Open Range" with Robert Duvall comes to mind over in the Southwestern side of the state in the Silverton and Gunnison area.
Much better scenery over there than here in the cattle lots.

• Pros:Azure Blue Skies and red rocks
  • Cons:Lots of rock outcroppings and bare land
  • In a nutshell:I'll be back!
  • Last visit to Colorado: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 8, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM

You seem to have seen a few spots that I did on a recent trip. It is a nice state with variety of things to see/do. I took interest in Grand Junction and the Colorado park nearby. Could not say the same for Denver

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 6:44 AM

great pics! I keep meaning to get back and explore more of Colorado but don't ever seem to get to it. Your page has inspired me.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 3:20 AM

Great page, Marcia! I spent a year at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, but apparently I did too much studying and too little travelling! Enjoyed this page a lot!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 1:19 PM

Marcia I enjoyed my virtual tour of Colorado Pike Peeks looks great & the Glenwood Spa delightful = one of my sons visited here for snowboarding

807Wheaton Visits Here Frequently!

807Wheaton

“Man plans but God prevails.”

Badges & Stats in Colorado

Have you been to Colorado?

Latest Activity in Colorado