"France - a place for many adventures" Top 5 Page for this destination France by 807Wheaton

France Travel Guide: 59,683 reviews and 163,272 photos

Castles, Rivers, Vineyards and Wonderful Cities

France is the biggest country in Western Europe and also has coastline on the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterrean Sea.
France is the largest producer of cereals and oils, sunflowers subsidized by the EU. Their agriculture also consists of olive trees, rape seed, (canola oil) and maze for animal fodder. Of course you will see a lot of cattle on the countryside which accounts for the wide and varied varity of cheese from France. There are flowers in the south of France, strawberries in the Dordogne, mushrooms in the Loire and Champagne wines east of Paris. France is a delightful treat for all the senses.

Discover the Perigord

This wonderful area of France is not as large a tourist area as the more well known spots. The countryside here more in the center of France is absolutely gorgeous. We discovered there are many, many castles in this area, some located on the Dordogne River. We traveled via Bergerac to see the castle of Beynac, the fortress of Castelnaud and Josephine Baker's Chateau of Les Milandes.

The vineyards

This picture was taken in St. Emilion, near Bordeaux, famous for its red wines. Being there in September meant that we could see the grape harvest taking place. Quite impressive.

• Pros:A country of dazzling landscapes and civilizations!
  • Cons:France is so big, it is hard to take it in.
  • In a nutshell:This is: joie de vivre!
  • Last visit to France: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2013

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2013 at 6:21 AM

I thought perhaps Spain may have had frontages to both the Atlantic and Mediterranean.....have to go and check my atlas. Other than that, lovely pages and thanks for sharing. Cheers, Ian

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
      Jun 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

You are so right and I've corrected it..........I went to my France page today to look at my comments and pics about D Day. Thanks!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
      Jun 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM

No problem, as you no doubt gathered it was a tad tongue-in-cheek. Hope you have happy travels in the future. Cheers, Ian

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Your travels took you to so many wonderful places, and all great to take in the scenery and culture. Your pictures and comments are very good.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 5:34 AM

Looks like a pretty comprehensive trip. I would love the little wooden train and the wild ponies.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed touring France on your pages. Same cars in Monte Carlo as when we were there - props perhaps?

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2009 at 1:37 AM

I loved doing armchair travel through this page. Was such a great trip ;-)

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Amazing pages you've! Bravo! I'm a little suprized to see that you know my home country very well ... may be better than me. I like the Perigord too.. BTW "This is: joie de vivre!" (and not "de vie")

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Nice pages and not of the usual Eiffel Tower genre. appreciated and will form a substantial part of our trip through France. thanks again

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 1:40 AM

Hi, Marcia, I actually found you through your Copenhagen page. I have been in CPH for a week and am returning to Paris today. Will read more about your visit to France.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 5:44 AM

Nice France page Marcia, thx for sharing.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 5:47 AM

I enjoyed reading your informative "Things to Do" tips with interesting stories about the places you visited. I have nice memories of camping by the Dordogne River when our children were small.

807Wheaton Visits Here Frequently!

807Wheaton

“Man plans but God prevails.”

Badges & Stats in France