"Paris" Paris by CALSF

Paris Travel Guide: 22,628 reviews and 55,551 photos

Sept. 2012: Most recent visit to the City of Lights was during a heat wave. It was very humid and hot, but at the same time Paris seemed extremely beautiful under sunny and blue skies. We traveled as a family en route to Manchester, UK. So it was a short but fantastic stopover.

March 2010: Decided to stopover for two days in Paris before travelling onwards to Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK. My stay at the famous Hotel de l'Abbaye St. Germain was meh. Yet I loved my visit as I got to stay in St. Germain des Pres again, had wonderful sunny and relatively warm weather, and my flights went off on time without problems. Not sure when I'll be back, but I hope it won't be too long again.

March 2009: What a long time to wait to revisit Paris, but some things are unforseen. Better late than never and all of that stuff...We finally got the reward ticket issues together and booked Air France almost losing our reservations thanks to AF deleting them & our reserved seats! Must have been an omen because this trip the taxi drivers were nuts and tried to be rip off artists as well as the entire hotel staff were let out of the mad house as they were all schizophrenics. So do not stay at Grand Hotel de l'Univers unless you want to be treated badly (and strangely) although I heard that they are trying to rectify this as well as their other oddities (e.g. elevator that's wacko and power that shorts when the lights and TV are on at the same time as you use their hairdryer). Thanks for allowing clients to comment about your properties, Best Western. Better have them get their acts together lest they drive away tourist money in these horrible economic times!

Anyway, some good came out of the visit: the weather was fab (we had one overcast day and the rest were sunny and downright warm for March-NO rain!). And the St. Germain location was fine. Les Deux Magots for a late night meal was a godsend-fantastic servers and not out for any tips just plain considerate, kind waiters. Now why can't the hotel and taxi personnel behave like that?

Was a mixed feeling trip spoilt upon arrival by our hotel staff, but Paris is Paris and that made it all right.

But let's see where else we can venture besides Paris.

To be continued...someday.

• Pros:Joie de vivre
  • Cons:Pickpockets & sour Parisians
  • In a nutshell:Paris is a city for ALL seasons
  • Last visit to Paris: Sep 2012
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2013

• jesa00's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Great info! I will be visiting Paris early October 2010 and I can't wait! Thank you for such a fantastic page..

• holly39's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 10:42 AM

im going to paris in march of 2010. Was there in 2005 but twisted ankle kept me from getting all the joys of the city. Next time try the duquense eiffel hotel.

• Robmj's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Nice info, I recall being up the top and being amazed at the traffic chaos below

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 8:47 AM

What a comprehensive page! You seem to have put all your VT energy into it ;-) I agree about the Orsay, and your tip about the Memorial des Martyrs de La Deportation is beautifully expressed

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 4:35 AM

Excellent practical tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2008 at 6:35 AM

Me again, checking back to read your updates and new tips since my last visit to this page on July 19, 2006. I find it especially interesting to read your detailed hotel and restaurant tips, because they show a whole different world that I never see.

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 11:51 AM

Enjoyed your tips and especially your pics from December. We are heading back for Xmas week and I've been looking for others who have gone then. Thanks for sharing.

• Dec 30, 2007 at 8:22 PM

Great Tips. We will be visiting Paris for the 2nd time in late Sept of '08 and the 1st time we wnet we stayed at the Hotel De Lutece based on your reviews and were not disapointed.

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Thanks for the great tips! I'm heading to Paris for the first time in Nov and will peruse your pages in great length as soon as I know where we're staying! I can't wait to see the Siene at night you describe it. . .

• SummerSolstice06's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 6:36 PM

Nice photo!

CALSF Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Paris