Chicago Favorite Tips by meteorologist1
Chicago Favorites: 443 reviews and 514 photos
Map of neighborhoods in Chicago
Favorite thing: Chicago is ethnically diverse. You can see this colorful map at the Chicago History Museum (or actually in one of the pages of the Encyclopedia of Chicago). You have people from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds living side by side and interacting with each other. This means as a resident of Chicago, you get to experience food, music, art, activities, etc. of other cultures, which is something truly unique for one to do. You can probably only experience this in America, only in large American cities.
local news show in Chicago
Favorite thing: You can catch the local ABC news being broadcasted from the ABC 7 Studios on State Street. Their studio and the live broadcast can be seen from the outside. Many people stand outside the window to watch what's going on inside during the usual local news times. Who knows, you might be on TV! The studio is located on State Street between Lake and Randolph Streets, across from the Chicago Theatre.
Taste of Chicago
Favorite thing: A food festival is held every year in Chicago. The Taste of Chicago offers people the culinary specialties from almost 100 restaurants in the Chicago area. Because of Chicago's diverse population and restaurants, you get to taste food from many parts of the world. There's Italian, Polish, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and even food from Africa and the Caribbean. Of course there is also typical Chicago dishes like deep dish pizza and hot dogs. Although the food is a little overpriced, you still should experience the fun festival. It is held in Grant Park for 11 days with the last day on Independence Day (July 4).
Route 66 in Chicago
Fondest memory: Chicago marks the eastern end of the historic Route 66. This photo of the "Begin Route 66" sign was taken near the intersection of Adams and Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago. The historic Route 66 or U.S. Highway 66 runs from Chicago, IL, to Santa Monica, CA, a distance of 2,448 miles (3,940 km). The states it passes through are Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
Favorite thing: Chicago's new Millennium Park is another amazing Chicago achievement making into the city's history book. It is now the hottest attraction in town. This large park located in the northern section of Grant Park bordering Michigan and Randolph will amaze you with modern architectural designs, excellent landscaping, amazing art, as well as live music as it has one of the most sophisticated outdoor concert venue of its kind in the U.S. This park should definitely go on your must-see list.
Fondest memory: Talk about amazing art! "The Bean" (shown in this photo) is a high elliptical and very shiny sculpture that captures a distorted and interesting image of the city skyline. If you are looking to photograph or draw an artistic image of Chicago, this is the place to do it.
Favorite thing: The Field Museum offers a lot of educational insight into our everyday lives. It allows us to examine the things around us: animals, plants, history, culture, etc. The museum has something for everyone. If you want to know something about Africa, there's an exhibit for that. If you like fossils, there's an exhibit for that. This is one great museum with all kinds of knowledge packed in one place!
Chicago Botanic Garden
Fondest memory: If you're looking for something peaceful and quiet as well as close to nature, Chicago's Botanic Garden is for you. This is the place to relax, take a walk, and spend time with your family. This large park features a tour of nature. It has lots of flowers in many different varieties, and they're separated into different sections. For example, see all kinds of roses in the Rose Garden. And there's also a vegetable garden for those vegetable-growing fans out there. The park is located on Chicago's North Side.
Favorite thing: Chicago is a beautiful city. The scene in downtown is clean and modern. There are a lot of parks, and there are a lot of trees and plants embedded in the streets. Michigan Avenue also provides a picture perfect big city scenery.
Fondest memory: There is always something special going on in Chicago. One day it's the Taste of Chicago, another day it's the Chicago Marathon, another day it's a car or boat show, .... so if you're coming to Chicago, you the tourist will not be the only one who will be excited, because we locals are also always excited about special events in Chicago.
Favorite thing: We usually go to the Chinatown in Chicago to do two things: shop for groceries and have lunch. And nothing more. There's nothing really too exciting to see here (compared to Chinatowns such as in San Francisco and Vancouver). There's a good selection of restaurants in Chinatown, and the prices are all not very expensive. There are great restaurants in the new part of Chinatown along Archer Ave.
Fondest memory: Where can we go from here? This sign shows how far it is from Navy Pier, Chicago, to other parts of the world.
More Reviews (40)
- See All Morton Arboretum
- See All Chicago Water Taxi
- See All Chicago River Architecture Tour
- See All The place for Chicago deep dish pizza!
- See All Gurnee Mills Outlet Mall
meteorologist1's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Explore the World
- Östergötlands Län Hotels
- Ponce Inlet Hotels
- Lutherstadt Wittenberg
- Le Croisic
- Wear Valley Hotels
- Bajulmati Hotels
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 52 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
- updated a Chicago Travel Page "Chicago, Illinois"
- Posted in Travel Chicago Forum "Re: Question title"
- Wrote a Review Morton Arboretum about Suburban delights in Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Morton Arboretum"
- Uploaded a Video to Chicago
- Commented on one of Marisola's Chicago travel pages
Photos in ChicagoSee All Photos (94)
Videos in ChicagoSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 5 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 47 reviews, 50 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 26 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 35 reviews, 39 photos
- Vancouver Intro, 33 reviews, 36 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 28 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Xuzhou Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos
- Rome Intro, 25 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Victoria Intro, 27 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Bend Intro, 20 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Latest Chicago hotel reviews
- Westin Chicago River North
- 801 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
- 1012 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Milshire Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2011
- The Hyatt Lodge
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Bellwood Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2012
- Best Western Grant Park Hotel
- 320 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore Hotel
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Club Quarters Chicago -- Wacker at Michigan
- 280 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Acres Motel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Midway Airport
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Delaware Towers
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2003
- Hotel Majestic
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Michigan Avenue- 86 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)- 107 Reviews, 194 Photos
- John Hancock Center- 100 Reviews, 182 Photos
- Millennium Park- 84 Reviews, 235 Photos
- Navy Pier- 106 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Lake Michigan & Lincoln Park- 52 Reviews, 81 Photos
- Art Institute- 89 Reviews, 148 Photos
- Field Museum of Natural History- 67 Reviews, 118 Photos
- Wrigley Field - Chicago Cubs- 34 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Shedd Aquarium- 54 Reviews, 97 Photos
See All Chicago Things to Do