"The beauty of the post-industrial age" Top 5 Page for this destination Gelsenkirchen by diocletianvs
Gelsenkirchen Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 81 photos
Gelsenkirchen is not the place most people would include in their tourist visit to Germany. When I asked my German friends about this place, their comments were something like "This is not the ugliest and the most boring place in Germany, but it is very close".
I visited Gelsenkirchen in 2005 as part of our Tour of the Ruhr region. The fact that Gelsenkirchen was located almost in the center of the region made us decide to stay here during our visit.
Once known as the "Town of Thousand Fires", Gelsenkirchen developed fast in the 19th century around coal industry, and was for long the leading coal producer in the region. Strategically important during the World War II it was almost completely destroyed by Allied bombs. Post-war reconstruction was not the most creative one - it was efficient and fast.
The post-industrial era reconstruction on the other hand was definitely more creative. One of the most important projects for the 1990s IBA Emscher park was the transformation of the Nordstern colliery into a large landscape park. This was our main point of interest here, but we also visited some other sites as well as the famous Gelsenkirchen arena/stadium. (To a big surprise of my friends when I suggested this visit, but it was all for the architectural reasons of course!).
Gelsenkirchen today is rapidly changing its image from dirty industrial town to a dynamic place centred around new science parks. It is the leading German center for the use of solar energy.
- Pros:The beauty of the post-industrial age
- Cons:The image of the industrial place
- In a nutshell:Industrial heritage and its creative use
For our 5-days "Tour of the Ruhr" trip we used cheap Germanwings flights from Zagreb to Cologne. On borders of the Ruhr... more travel advice
Nordstern park is one of the important points of the Industrial Culture Cultural Route that criss-crosses the Ruhr... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Gelsenkirchen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beauty of the post-industrial age"
- "Opera and cycling in . . . Gelsenkirchen?!"
- "A typical City of the "Ruhrpott" Area"
- "Home of Null Vier"
- "Warner Bros MovieworldHollywood in Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gelsenkirchen
- Hotels in Gelsenkirchen
- Transportation in Gelsenkirchen
- Restaurants in Gelsenkirchen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gelsenkirchen
- 16 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Gelsenkirchen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gelsenkirchen
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Gelsenkirchen travel pages
- updated a Gelsenkirchen Travel Page "The beauty of the post-industrial age"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The beauty of the post-industrial age"
- Wrote a Review Cheap flights to Cologne in Gelsenkirchen Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos