Cologne Local Custom Tips by diocletianvs Top 5 Page for this destination
Cologne Local Customs: 85 reviews and 105 photos
Sabsi organized a VT meeting on the first evening I was in Cologne. We met Gil earlier that afternoon for the coffee and later went to the Früh brewery where we were joined by Stef (Tinytuck), Sandra (hundertmorgen), Holger (HORSCHECK), Edgar (50939) and Winfried (RhineRoll).
We had a dinner, numerous Kölschs (I stopped counting after the fifteenth round) and lots of laughs.
Sandra came with her friend who was kind enough to take this picture of all of us.
The local people proved that Cologne is The place for going out and having relaxed time. Thank you guys!
(Oh, Sabsi has an excellent Travelogue on her Cologne page about my visit and the VT meeting so please check the link below).
Kölsch means lots of things, but two main meanings are local beer and local language.
I am not a beer expert but I guess you have to be local to appreciate this light, highly-fermented beer that comes in small glasses (Stange) and can be brewed only in local breweries according to the putity laws dating from 1516.
(To me, it tasted more like those syrup juices where you put a small amount of very sweet fruit juice and mix it with large amount of water - not like beer at all.)
But, as the local Kölsch saying says - Jeder Jeck is anders (Every fool is different), my appologies to all local Kölsch lovers: every person is different, and tastes differ as well.
When in Cologne, you definitely have to try Kölsch and decide for yourself.
Sabsi in action
I was very happy when I went to Cologne because I had a great guide - Sabsi. She is not even local here, but as soon as she heard I'm coming to Cologne she started planning and even learning things because she knew I wouldn't be happy with the usual "This is an interesting house from I don't know when and built by I don't know who - but there is a nice bar on the ground floor".
Sabsi waited for me at the airport, reserved our seats in restaurants, gave me maps and drove me around for two days. Which wasn't easy at all since I had some things on my list of Must see places that she never heard of. But at least I hope it was an interesting visit to Cologne for her too.
Thank you Sabs!
I am known as person that gives names to devices and is often caught talking to computers, toasters or coffee machines. People usually find this weird.
But not people that ever left their luggage at Cologne train station.
Of course, there are no counters and no people. If you follow the sign saying 'Gepäck / Luggage' you'll find only cold and efficient luggage machine. You insert a coin (3 Eur for 24 hours) and the door will open for your bag. Then the door will close, you'll hear your bag going somewhere deep under and you'll get a small ticket with a magnetic stripe that says:
'You have just left your bag to the mercy of the stupid machine. Now, if you want your bag back please turn back. What you'll see right outside the train station is the huge Cologne Cathedral. Now choose the Saint you trust and pray 3 HolyMary's for the well being of your dear bag'.
I took the instructions seriously, prayed to Santa Ursula and even lit a candle inside the Cathedral.
In the evening The Machine was satisfied and retuned me the same bag I left earlier, saying: Vielen Dank, you are a good Christian!
There were some bad Christians next to me that were now talking to the Machine ;)
More Reviews (39)
- See All Schokoladenmuseum
- See All Cologne parks
- See All Hansahochhaus (Saturn Tower)
- See All Small train to the Sweet Museum
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Köln am Rhein"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Explore the World
- Negeri Kelantan
- Moreton Island Hotels
- Bossier City
- Björkholmen Hotels
- Richmond Dale Hotels
- Bandanaira Hotels
- Federal Way
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 43 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of 50939's Cologne travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cologne by night (pictures only)"
- created a Cologne Travelogue "Cologne by night (pictures only)"
- Wrote a Review VT meeting in Früh brewery in Cologne Local Customs
Photos in CologneSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Cologne hotel reviews
- Renaissance Koln Hotel
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Maritim Hotel Koln
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Cologne
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Cologne
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Novotel Koeln City
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Cristall
- 165 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Lint Hotel Koeln
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Jugendgaestehaus Koeln Riehl
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2012
- Hotel Coellner Hof
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- Hotel Domblick Garni
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Ameron Hotel Collection
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 30, 2013
- Central Hotel am Dom
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Hotel Mulheimer Hof
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Park Inn by Radisson Koeln City West
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Marriott Cologne
- 319 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Cologne Cathedral/ Kölner Dom- 182 Reviews, 321 Photos
- Old Town- 35 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Rhine/ Rhein- 30 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Imhoff-Stollwerck Chocolate Museum- 33 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Zoo and Aquarium- 12 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Town Hall/ Rathaus- 24 Reviews, 34 Photos
- 4711 House- 17 Reviews, 19 Photos
- City Centre Shopping- 9 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Bridges of Cologne- 12 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Museums- 26 Reviews, 48 Photos
See All Cologne Things to Do