Cologne Off The Beaten Path Tips by diocletianvs Top 5 Page for this destination
Cologne Off The Beaten Path: 64 reviews and 93 photos
I am known as the lover of the early high-rise buildings so Maybachstrasse 115 was a must address for me. The Hansahochhaus skyscraper was built in 1925, designed by Jakob Koerfer. At the time of construction, the 17-storey clinker building reaching 65 metres height was Cologne's first high-rise building, and simultaneously the highest skyscraper in Europe.
Today, it is a business and administration building. There is large Saturn CD shop occupying several lower levels of the building.
Other Contact: Maybachstraße 115
Cinedom in Mediapark
MediaPark is the recent urban development project in Cologne constructed in the 1990s on the 200,000 m2 area of the former area occupied by the railway freight depot. The complex consists of several centres for information, communication and media technology, a large park with a lake, and a large cinema (Cinedom).
Today roughly 5,000 people work here in some 250 companies that are located in the MediaPark. There are approximately 4.5 million visitors per year.
The urban development concept was designed by the German-Canadian architect E. Zeidler, and buildings were realised by renowned architects. The highest building of the complex, The Köln Turm skyscraper, was designed by French architect Jean Nouvel.
MediaPark was the last on my list of things I was showing to Sabsi - we were there on Saturday evening and the area was very alive thanks to numerous small restaurants and the giant multiplex cinema.
The Bastei is small architectural masterpiece situated on the Rhine embankments north of the center. This former restaurant was built by architect Wilhelm Riphahn in 1924. It is a round building with a pointed, tented roof in the centre. In front of the main hall there is a terrace which goes around with a fan-shaped flat roof with a glass balustrade.
Once a restaurant with a rich tradition, Die Bastei is today operated by Cologne Fair and only occasionally there are some events organized in this architectural jewel situated directly above the Rhine. Even if you stand below it, the views of the Rhine, the bridge and the towers of Cologne churches are amazing.
Other Contact: Konrad- Adenauer- Ufer
Museum für Ostasiatische Kunst
I was more attracted to see the building of the Museum for East Asian Art than the collection itself. The building was designed in by Kunio Maekawa (1905-1986) who was a pupil of Le Corbusier. Its pure lines, ingenious use of materials and overlapping of volumes draw sources both from old Japanese traditions and from modern architecture. The building is centred round a landscaped garden in the tradition of Japanese gardens of meditation created by the Japanese sculptor Masayuke Nagare (born 1923) and the whole complex is situated at the edge of the wide strip of parks and lakes.
The Museum itself houses Chinese, Korean and Japanese art. It was founded in 1913 and was the first museum of its kind in Germany. The core of the permanent collection is the Japanese collection of the founder of the museum Adolf Fischer (1857-1914) and his wife Frieda Bartdorff (1874-1945).
Other Contact: Tel 0221-94 05 18-0
Phone: Universitätsstraße 100
More Reviews (39)
- See All VT meeting in Früh brewery
- See All Schokoladenmuseum
- See All Cologne parks
- See All Small train to the Sweet Museum
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Köln am Rhein"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Explore the World
- Edmundston Hotels
- Sepang Hotels
- Pasay City Hotels
- Sheffield Hotels
- Down on the Beach
- Bahrain Off The Beaten Path
- Hat Yai Off The Beaten Path
- Gubbio Off The Beaten Path
- Vézelay Off The Beaten Path
- Stavanger Off The Beaten Path
- Bavaria Off The Beaten Path
- Orchha Off The Beaten Path
- Assen Off The Beaten Path
- Espoo Off The Beaten Path
- Krasnodar Off The Beaten Path
- Hinterland / National Parks
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 43 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of 50939's Cologne travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cologne by night (pictures only)"
- created a Cologne Travelogue "Cologne by night (pictures only)"
- Wrote a Review VT meeting in Früh brewery in Cologne Local Customs
Photos in CologneSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Cologne hotel reviews
- Renaissance Koln Hotel
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Maritim Hotel Koln
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Cologne
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Cologne
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Novotel Koeln City
- 167 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Cristall
- 166 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Lint Hotel Koeln
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Hotel Coellner Hof
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 30, 2013
- Jugendgaestehaus Koeln Riehl
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2012
- Hotel Mulheimer Hof
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Domblick Garni
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Marriott Cologne
- 320 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Central Hotel am Dom
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Ameron Hotel Collection
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 30, 2013
- Park Inn by Radisson Koeln City West
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Cologne Cathedral/ Kölner Dom- 182 Reviews, 321 Photos
- Old Town- 35 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Rhine/ Rhein- 30 Reviews, 49 Photos
- Imhoff-Stollwerck Chocolate Museum- 33 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Zoo and Aquarium- 12 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Town Hall/ Rathaus- 24 Reviews, 34 Photos
- 4711 House- 17 Reviews, 19 Photos
- City Centre Shopping- 9 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Museums- 26 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Bridges of Cologne- 12 Reviews, 28 Photos
See All Cologne Things to Do