"Köln am Rhein" Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne by diocletianvs
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,609 reviews and 4,007 photos
Cologne proudly introduces itself as Germany's oldest city. Its famous Cathedral still attracts millions of modern pilgrims making it the most visited monument in Germany. Situated at the crossroads of main European traffic corridors, with 10 European motorways intersecting with the ring road around the city and with more than 1,200 train arrivals per day under the steel and glass canopy of the Hauptbanhof, Cologne is easy to reach. Especially since its international airport has become the hub for several budget airlines.
As a former Hanseatic city, Cologne is city of trade and commerce. The Cologne ports continue to number among the largest inland ports in Germany, trans-shipping between 7 and 8 million tons of cargo every year. Twenty-five of the world's largest industrial tradefairs are staged at Cologne's tradefair centre, the Koelnmesse. Over one quarter of all German television programs are produced in Cologne and there are more TV and radio stations located here than in any other German city. Cologne is synonymous with communications - everybody speaks to everybody here. (Not surprising, therefore, that Cologne also has the largest numbers of pubs and restaurants per capita than any other German city.)
Still, the city hasn't sold its soul to the international financial capital. People still meet for a Kölsch, a chat or simply a laugh. Life in Cologne is uncomplicated, vivacious and cosmopolitan at the same time. It boasts a great variety of municipal and private museums, which is their various ways reflect the 2000-year history of the city. There is also a vibrant club scene, and the spectrum of theatre productions.
Twenty million people live within one hour's drive from Cologne. The dynamic Rhine-Ruhr region is one of the central locations in Europe for industry, trade, the economy, science and research. Together with the adjacent Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg, it generates more than 40 per cent of the European Union's total gross domestic product.
Once in Cologne, you will definitely feel like you are in the center of Europe. Roman stones will bring the memories of the Mediterranean influence while the Rhine and the Hanseatic heritage enables links to Europe's northern provinces. And according to the local saying, the Siberia starts right on the Wrong side if the Rhine, in Deutz.
- Pros:If it only had the Cathedral and the Hohenzollern bridge it would still be worth visiting
- Cons:If Kölsch is a beer then Zagreb tap water is Champagne
- In a nutshell:The left side of the Rhine is the right, the right one is the wrong one.
Sabsi organized a VT meeting on the first evening I was in Cologne. We met Gil earlier that afternoon for the coffee and... more travel advice
This is definitely my favourite bridge I've ever seen. What an idea! To build bravely a railway station at the foot of... more travel advice
- See All Cologne parks
- See All Hansahochhaus (Saturn Tower)
- See All Small train to the Sweet Museum
- See All Nice atmosphere
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Köln am Rhein"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 43 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of 50939's Cologne travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cologne by night (pictures only)"
- created a Cologne Travelogue "Cologne by night (pictures only)"
- Wrote a Review VT meeting in Früh brewery in Cologne Local Customs
Photos in CologneSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos