Norway Shopping Tips by diocletianvs
Norway Shopping: 46 reviews and 56 photos
After you visit some country there are usually some people at home that expect “something” that represent the country and can be called a souvenir.
The task of choosing souvenirs in Norway is exceptionally hard one if you’re looking for something that fits under the price range “normal” in your local terms. Nothing is cheap in Norway, and souvenirs are extremely expensive.
What to buy: The good choice is of course Norwegian knitwear. If you’re looking for original knitwear expect to pay up to 1500 kr (200 $) for a sweater. If you are lucky to find a sweater in a 300 – 500 kr price range, make sure that you remove “Made in China” tag before giving it as original Norwegian.
Troll figures usually also have “Made in Taiwan” label, which doesn’t make them less expensive but they still remain rather popular choice.
Norwegian knives are also popular – if it’s ordinary it’s expensive, if it reminds of Norway somehow it is extremely expensive.
But I have few affordable tips that you can bring to someone and that will be “pure Norwegian”. The first one is Norwegian brown cheese (see my Brunost tip under “Local customs”). You can find it in any supermarket – don’t waste your money on special packages since the one you’ll find at supermarket is the most original brunost you’ll find!
And there are two ingenious products invented by Norwegians that can be nice souvenirs. The first one is cheese-slicer. If you give it to someone together with Brunost it will be pure Norwegian!
Another “pure Norwegian” product you’ll find in any stationery shop. Did you know that it were Norwegians who invented paperclips? They even make statues to it, like this one in Oslo. So, with one box of paperclips you can bring souvenirs from Norway to the whole department in your homecompany!
What to pay: From 10 kr for a 100-pieces box of paperclips.
More Reviews (19)
- See All Must hear: Röyksopp
- See All Never enough of these ...
- Nordkapp & Midnight sun
- Accommodation options in Norway
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Norway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "By HURTIGRUTEN through Norway"
- "great landscapes and more !"
- "Norway: The fjords land"
- "Norway - the nature in its purest form"
- "Saagar's Norway pages"
- "Trip to Urnes and Bergen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Norway
- Hotels in Norway
- Transportation in Norway
- Nightlife in Norway
- Restaurants in Norway
- Shopping in Norway
- Warnings and Dangers in Norway
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Norway
- 127 Reviews
- 193 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norway
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of flyingkiwi's Norway travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Must hear: Röyksopp"
- Wrote a Review Must hear: Röyksopp in Norway Local Customs
- updated a Norway Travel Page "Land of nice people and exceptional natural beauty"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos