Norway Favorite Tips by diocletianvs
Norway Favorites: 220 reviews and 228 photos
Favorite thing: If you happen to arrive to Norway from another European country you’ll probably find Norwegians a little bit cold. If you’re coming from Mediterranean country then your first impression is most likely be that Norwegians are deeply frozen. So it’s essential to learn some “tricks” on “defrosting” Norwegians.
Norway is a huge country, that doesn’t have a strong urban tradition. If you look at typical Norwegian landscape, you’ll hardly find any villages as well – it is a landscape of scattered farms. For generations Norwegians were used to live with first neighbours being a couple of kilometres away.
The second theory of northern coldness takes the weather conditions into account: if you live for the most of the year with average temperatures of minus 10 degrees C, with strong wind blowing heavy snow into your face, it is unlikely that you’ll walk the streets cheerfully smiling and waving to everyone coming from the opposite direction.
There’s also a third theory, saying that Norwegians are simply somewhat shy.
Fondest memory: Whatever the cause, it’s up to you to try to broken the initial blockade (you don’t expect THEM to make a first move?).
The first step is to learn few words of Norwegian. Goddag and Hei are very close to English, use Unnskyld (Excuse me) if you approach someone for the first time on the street and don’t forget to say Takk (Thank you). Almost all Norwegians speak English, but don’t like to show it. After your first attempts of speaking Norwegian they will probably automatically start speaking English. That should be enough to start the conversation.
If you want to know Norwegians a little bit better, then there’s only one sure recipe of the success: you have to get drunk together with them! (One of the minuses of this approach is the fact that they probably won’t remember you the next day).
Once you break the initial barriers you’ll find Norwegians as very kind and helpful people. Despite the recent richness of their country Norwegians are very simple and proud of their nation. If you gain their trust and become a friend, you’re most probably found yourself a friend for a lifetime.
Favorite thing: Tourist information
www.visitnorway.com (The Official Travel Guide to Norway)
www.norway.com (Destinations, travel planner, links to major attractions etc.)
Favourite Fjord tours organizer
More Reviews (18)
- See All Must hear: Röyksopp
- See All Never enough of these ...
- Nordkapp & Midnight sun
- Accommodation options in Norway
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Norway Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "By HURTIGRUTEN through Norway"
- "great landscapes and more !"
- "Norway: The fjords land"
- "Norway - the nature in its purest form"
- "Saagar's Norway pages"
- "Trip to Urnes and Bergen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Norway
- Hotels in Norway
- Transportation in Norway
- Nightlife in Norway
- Restaurants in Norway
- Shopping in Norway
- Warnings and Dangers in Norway
- See All...
Explore the World
- Las Vegas Hotels
- Redmond Hotels
- Prince George Hotels
- Bow Valley Provincial Park Hotels
- La Seu d'Urgell
Badges & Stats in Norway
- 127 Reviews
- 193 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Norway?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Norway
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of flyingkiwi's Norway travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Must hear: Röyksopp"
- Wrote a Review Must hear: Röyksopp in Norway Local Customs
- updated a Norway Travel Page "Land of nice people and exceptional natural beauty"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Top Norway hotels
- Bergen Hotels
- 938 Reviews - 2368 Photos
- Oslo Hotels
- 2977 Reviews - 7236 Photos
- Kristiansand Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 198 Photos
- Trondheim Hotels
- 350 Reviews - 1014 Photos
- Stavanger Hotels
- 301 Reviews - 989 Photos
- Ålesund Hotels
- 170 Reviews - 544 Photos
- Flåm Hotels
- 128 Reviews - 334 Photos
- Røros Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 159 Photos
- Honningsvåg Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Kløfta Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Arendal Hotels
- 35 Reviews - 45 Photos
- Kirkenes Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Geiranger Hotels
- 165 Reviews - 474 Photos
- Tromsø Hotels
- 236 Reviews - 580 Photos
- Narvik Hotels
- 100 Reviews - 271 Photos