"Pionirski grad - Town of Tito's Pioneers" Granesina by diocletianvs
Granesina Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 16 photos
Pioniri maleni, mi smo vojska prava,
Svakog dana rastemo, k'o zelena trava,
Smrt fasizmu, a sloboda narodu,
i mene ce moja mati pionirom zvati....
This song about small Pioneers being the real army that builds the better future of socialist Yugoslavia was the anthem that could be heard in all corners of Pioneer town in its best days of 1960s, 70s and 80s.
For all of us who were not born in Zagreb Pionirski grad was usually the first contact with Zagreb. Soon after we would become "Tito's Pioneers" almost all elementary schools in Croatia (at that time part of Yugoslavia) would organize school trips around the country, Zagreb being the first "big trip" that involved overnight stays.
Situated on the eastern outskirts of Zagreb, Pionirski grad (Pioneer town) stretches on the 50 hectares of beautifully landscaped area. Small pavillions are scattered throughout the area, offering accomodation for school children. Some of the best architects of the 1950s, including Ivo Vitic, worked on pavillions and other buildings here.
It is really a town of its own - besides accommodation pavillions there are restaurants, educational trails, sports fields, a school and a cinema seating 200 people, library, sculpture park....
After the 1990 school children weren't Tito's Pioneers any more. Soon came the war, and Pionirski grad became temporary home for many refugees from war affected parts of Croatia. Later it was used as an army camp, and lately there are some efforts to renew it as a school children's park, now under the new name as Town of the Youths.
Today it is still not more than a park for the people of the surrounding areas that come here to enjoy fresh air, sports and children playgrounds.
The days when Pionirski grad was full of kids, and schools had to wait on the waiting lists for months are for long gone.
Take any tram going to tram terminal in Dubrava (7, 12) and then catch the bus number 208 (direction Vidovec).... more travel advice
Fields for football, basketball, volleyball, tennis and table tennis are all within the Pionirski grad complex and are... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Granesina Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Granesina
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Granesina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granesina
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos