"Hiking up & around Medvednica" Medvednica by diocletianvs
Medvednica Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 51 photos
Zagreb is situated just under Medvednica – or Zagrebacka gora (Zagreb Mountain) and its 1,000,000 inhabitants are lucky to have a natural area in their immediate vicinity. Only eleven tram stops from Ban Jelacic Square – the center of Zagreb – there’s an entrance to Medvednica Nature Park.
Medvednica is a huge forest area with its highest peak – Sljeme – reaching 1,035 metres above the sea level. A large part of it belongs to Medvednica Nature park, with natural forest areas and several special reservates of forest vegetation.
In the year 1870 a group of citizens from Zagreb built a wooden pyramid on Medvednica – a first mountaineering object marking the start of now more than a century old tradition of weekend hiking pilgrimages to Medvednica. On its paths you’ll find older people, younger people, couples with small kids and students who are taking Medvednica walking as part of their sports activities at the university.
Skiing and sledging during the winter and hiking during the summer are the favourite activities on Medvednica. In the winter climbing to Sljeme is sometimes your only chance to catch some sun while Zagreb is under fog for months, while in the summer the forest offers the best escape from the heat of the asphalt.
The mountain can easily be reached by public transport from Zagreb – it is served by tram and bus lines, and there’s also a a cable car and a road for those that don’t like walking but enjoy a good meal on fresh air in one of the mountain huts on Sljeme.
- Pros:Nature, fresh air, good food
- Cons:Well... if you don't like walking ... Use the cable car
- In a nutshell:Great escape from the asphalt of Zagreb
I was never a big sports guy so when I had to choose a sport as part of the obligatory sports activities at the... more travel advice
Hiking was something new for me when I first arrived in Zagreb. So at first I was rather surprised that - knowing almost... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Medvednica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hiking up & around Medvednica"
- "The Nature Park of Medvednica"
- "The Mountain of the Bear"
- "Trees and more trees"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medvednica
- Hotels in Medvednica
- Transportation in Medvednica
- Restaurants in Medvednica
- Warnings and Dangers in Medvednica
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Medvednica
- 23 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Medvednica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medvednica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos