"Osijek - buildings, parks & monuments" Top 5 Page for this destination Osijek by diocletianvs

Osijek Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 308 photos

Osijek.hr

"You know - that weird monument.... My weird cousin from Zagreb finds it interesting... And after he told me the idea behind it, and the story it represents.... It looks a little less weird now.... I almost like it".

I love this sentence from my cousin. I am a frequent visitor in Osijek, thanks to a large number of aunts, unlcles and cousins living here. As a kid, I used to spend lots of my summer holidays here.

As most places in continental Croatia, Osijek is not high on tourist maps. Heavily bombed, unlike Dubrovnik, buildings are not totally renewed after the war. Scars are still visible on facades and on peoples faces.

Osijek offers some of the most beautiful Secession buildings in Croatia, some of the nicest parks and promenades and one of the best (if not the best) contemporary monuments in an urban environment.

Definitely worth a weekend visit or as a base for more thorough exploration of region of Slavonia.

• Pros:Nice architecture, parks and promenades
  • Cons:Mosquitoes can be pretty annoying
  • In a nutshell:Even Croatia away from the Adriatic coast is worth visiting
  • Last visit to Osijek: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 30, 2006

• picek's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Osijek si ze dlje casa zelim obiskati, malo pa lahko nahranim komarje! Dobra stran, mali katalog mestnih prostorov in zgodb. Vcasih tudi se tudi na VT najde kako zanimivo branje.

• Sep 12, 2009 at 4:22 AM

Picasso in Osijek? ... The statue Picasso (1964.) by Ivan Sabolić is put up in the town as a monument of a kind. (...) mdc.hr/glu_osijek/eng/postav...

• alan1972's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM

Excellent page, I recently enjoyed a couple of days in Osijek, having read your tips first. Luckily there were no mosquitoes around in October!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM

Your Defenders monument was a featured tip - so pleased it caught my eye and led me to this page. Some lovely shots and thoughtful tips about a city you obviously know and love well. leyle

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 12:51 AM

interesting...looks like worth a visit

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 9:11 PM

another fascinating page - wonderful to look at a city through your eyes

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 4:34 AM

Very nice page! One picture looked like Vilnius photo!;) It is great that Croatia has sp many to show! ;)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2006 at 10:39 AM

What a lovely blue trams! Almost like in Zurich, ha,ha! I thought I'd recognise the city name as one with trams - my dad is a tram fanatic and I'm a secret tram spotter :))

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2006 at 6:06 AM

great page just love your in depth details like Sakuntala the Hindu myth and the sculpture of Sakuntala a central theme of a park in the center of Osijek very nice details that add such value -- good work

• weed6886's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Dobar dan, Niksa. Great page, lots of good information. Will have to stop there on my next trip to Slavonia. Greetings from Germany

diocletianvs Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Osijek