Plitvicka Jezera National Park Off The Beaten Path Tips by diocletianvs Top 5 Page for this destination
Plitvicka Jezera National Park Off The Beaten Path: 15 reviews and 43 photos
Monument to Josip Jovic
Easter 1991 was the "Bloody Easter" in Croatia, and is usually referred to as the start of the war in Croatia in the 1990s.
On Easter morning, March 31st 1991 a bus of Croatian policemen was sent to deal with Serbian rebelion in Knin. It was here in Plitvice where they were caught in fire and it was here where the first causalty fell. Josip Jovic was 22-years old policeman killed on this spot, and what will follow is five years of Serbian rebellion that caused thousands of killed, thousands refugees, hundreds of destroyed towns and villages and five years of broken communications, including this road.
For five years Plitvice lakes were occupied, and what was found afterwards were destroyed hotels and doubts about possible landmines. No mines were found, but all paths had to be examined centimeter by centimeter and in fact there are still some paths that are not opened because the Park authority wants to be sure they are OK.
At the place where Josip Jovic was killed, next to the Entrance 2, a small monuments is erected to the memory of the first victim of war in Croatia.
More Reviews (50)
- Plitvice or Plitvicka?
- See All Taking the wrong road
- See All How much time do you need to explore the...
- See All Private accommodation & camping
- Skripavac and Strudels
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Plitvicka Jezera National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rhapsody of Water in the middle of Croatia"
- "PLITVICKA JEZERA"
- "THE INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL WATERFALLS OF PLITVICE"
- "Plitvicka National Park, pure beauty"
- "P L I T V I C E"
- "MORE OF PLITVICE'S BEAUTY"
- "An Amazing Paradise In Croatia..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Hotels in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Transportation in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Nightlife in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Restaurants in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Shopping in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- 51 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Plitvicka Jezera National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of sabsi's Plitvicka Jezera National Park travel pages
- updated a Plitvicka Jezera National Park Travel Page "Rhapsody of Water in the middle of Croatia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rhapsody of Water in the middle of Croatia"
- Wrote a Review Plitvice or Plitvicka? in Plitvicka Jezera National Park Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
- The Big Waterfall (Veliki slap) & Sastavci- 26 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Lower lakes (Donja jezera)- 36 Reviews, 123 Photos
- Upper lakes (Gornja jezera)- 32 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Blue cave & Supljara (Hollow Cave)- 9 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Jezero (lake) Kozjak- 15 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Fish, Animals & Wild Life- 13 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Entrances- 4 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Viewpoints- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Flowers, Forests and other Flora- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos