Plitvicka Jezera National Park Favorite Tips by diocletianvs Top 5 Page for this destination
Plitvicka Jezera National Park Favorites: 65 reviews and 122 photos
Favorite thing: If you have time spending a weekend or a few days in this place of tranquility and natural beauty is of course a great idea. Lika region is mountainous region and this can be a great escape from the summer heat as well.
Fondest memory: But I must say I do not agree with those that insist that staying here overnight is a must. In my opinion a daytrip to Plitvice is sufficient enough if you are just visiting Croatia for a week or so.
Park is conveniently located approximately halfway from Zagreb and from the coast (on the D1 road and NOT on the A1 highway!) making it easy to do it as a daytrip whether you are returning on your point of departure or simply stopping on Plitvice on your way to/from the coast.
If you take, say, and early morning bus from Zagreb (let's say the one at 8), you are on Plitvice at 10.30. Count 7 hours for the longest route and a 1-hour lunch break and you can wait for your bus at 5.30 pm and be back in Zagreb by 8pm (or in Split approximately an hour later).
Visiting the lakes
Favorite thing: There are two entrances to the park: Entrance 1 (Ulaz 1) closer to Zagreb and Entrance 2 (Ulaz 2) closer to Dalmatia. Hotels are located next to Ulaz 2.
On both entrances you'll find Tourist info center, large parking lots, a supermarket, snack bars, cafes and stalls selling souvenirs and local food. At the Information center you can buy brochures and maps of the area. There is a small orientation map printed on the back of entrance ticket as well.
Fondest memory: To enter the park you have to buy the entrance ticket. Prices vary according to the season, in 2005 they are:
95 Kunas (ca 13 Eur) for the high season, 80 Kunas for half-season and 50 Kunas out of season. Children 7-18 years have 50% reduction, and children under 7 can enter for free.
There are also 2-day tickets available for 125 Kunas (17 Eur) in high season, 95 Kunas in low season.
More info at www.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr
Or call +385 53 751 026
Favorite thing: Moving around park is well organized, maybe even too organized for such natural phenomenon. But then, it is understandable given the number of visitors. Routes are colour coded and printed on the back of your entrance ticket so all you have to do is choose your route and follow the signs.
Routes from Entrance 1:
Green route: starts from the Big Waterfall and the Big Cascades, includes walks through the Lower lakes, boat across the Kozjak lake and a walk among most of the Upper lakes, ending with Veliki prstavci waterfall and a shuttle bus back to Entrance 1. Takes 5-6 hours.
Blue route: The Big waterfall, Lower lakes, boat across the Kozjak lake, Burgeti and Gradinsko lake, boat across the Kozjak lake, shuttle bus to Entrance 1. Takes 3-4 hours.
Orange route: Almost identical as the Blue route, but includes some shortcuts, only one boat ride across the Kozjak lake and ends at Entrance 2. Takes 3-4 hours, recommended for larger groups.
Routes from Entrance 2
Red route: Starts at Entrance 2, shuttle bus to top of the Upper lakes, walk through the Upper lakes, boat across the Kozjak lake, walk through the Lower lakes and the big waterfall. Takes 5-6 hours.
Yellow route: Same as the Blue route, but going in the opposite direction (starting from Entrance 2. Takes 3-4 hours.
Grey route: Same as the Orange route, but going in the opposite direction. Starts at Entrance 2 and ends at Entrance 1. Takes 3-4 hours.
Fondest memory: I recommend taking the Red route. It runs through both the Upper and the Lower lakes and ends with a rhapsody of the Big Cascades and the Big Waterfall.
More Reviews (48)
- Plitvice or Plitvicka?
- Monument to Josip Jovic
- See All Taking the wrong road
- See All Private accommodation & camping
- Skripavac and Strudels
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Plitvicka Jezera National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rhapsody of Water in the middle of Croatia"
- "PLITVICKA JEZERA"
- "THE INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL WATERFALLS OF PLITVICE"
- "Plitvicka National Park, pure beauty"
- "P L I T V I C E"
- "MORE OF PLITVICE'S BEAUTY"
- "An Amazing Paradise In Croatia..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Hotels in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Transportation in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Nightlife in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Restaurants in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Shopping in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- 51 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 28 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Plitvicka Jezera National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plitvicka Jezera National Park
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of sabsi's Plitvicka Jezera National Park travel pages
- updated a Plitvicka Jezera National Park Travel Page "Rhapsody of Water in the middle of Croatia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rhapsody of Water in the middle of Croatia"
- Wrote a Review Plitvice or Plitvicka? in Plitvicka Jezera National Park Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
- The Big Waterfall (Veliki slap) & Sastavci- 26 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Lower lakes (Donja jezera)- 36 Reviews, 123 Photos
- Upper lakes (Gornja jezera)- 32 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Blue cave & Supljara (Hollow Cave)- 9 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Jezero (lake) Kozjak- 15 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Fish, Animals & Wild Life- 13 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Entrances- 4 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Viewpoints- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Flowers, Forests and other Flora- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos