Slavonski Brod Local Custom Tips by diocletianvs
Slavonski Brod Local Customs: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Dragutin Tadijanovic was born in 1905 in village Rastusje, close to Slavonski Brod. He published more than 20 collections of poems. First one was published in 1931.
When asked on his 90th birthday to say something about himself - he simply answered: I would never be able to say anything better than what I already wrote in my poems. I promise, on my 100th birthday, I'll write at least haiku. He was active even beyond his 100th birthday.
Dragutin Tadijanovic died in June 2007. Here is one beautiful song about his mother:
Dugo u noc, u zimsku bijelu noc
Dugo u noc, u zimsku gluhu noc
moja mati bijelo platno tka.
Njen pognut lik i prosijede njene kose
Odavna je vec zalise suzama.
Trak lampe s prozora pruzen je citavim dvoristem
Po snijegu što vani pada
U tisini bez kraja, u tisini bez kraja:
Andjeli s neba, njeznim rukama,
Spustaju smrzle zvjezdice na zemlju
Pazec da ne bi zlato moje probudili.
Dugo u noc, u zimsku pustu noc
Moja mati bijelo platno tka.
O, majko zalosna! Kazi, što to sja
U tvojim ocima
Dugo u noc, u zimsku bijelu noc?
[Picture from www.matica.hr]
Ivana Brlic Mazuranic
In Slavonski Brod letters IBM have no association with international business machines, but rather with the name of Ivana Brlic Mazuranic - Croatian Hans Christian Andersen.
She was born in Ogulin in 1874 in well known Mazuranic family but spent most of her life in Slavonski Brod where she married at young age. Surrounded by libraries and an atmosphere of work and patriotism, she attained a very considerable learning in her own home, learned languages and lived a rich and intense life.
Her collection of 'Tales of Long Ago' placed her immediately as the best writer in Croatian children's literature and this is still the case. She had the ability to identify with the psyche of the child, to understand the purity and naivety of the world of children. 'The Marvellous Adventures of Hlapic the Apprentice', published in 1913, are still one of the favourite bedtime literature for all kids in Croatia.
Her works have been translated into many languages and she was nominated for the Nobel prize for literature. In 1937 she became the first woman ever to be elected to the Croatian Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Jedne lijepe ljetne noci cuvali konjari na livadama konje. Cuvali, cuvali, a napokon zaspali. Kad oni zaspali, doletjele sa oblaka vile, da se malo poigraju sa konjima po vilinskom obicaju. Uhvatila svaka vila po jednog konjica, sjela na njega pak ga siba svojom zlatnom kosom i tjera ga uokrug po rosnoj travi.
A bijase medju vilama jedna mala vila, po imenu Kosjenka, koja bijase ove noci prvi put sasla na zemlju sa oblaka.
For those understanding Croatian the link below is a great opportunity to read her tales again as they can be downloaded as pdf files.
[Picture taken from www.hnb.hr]
Bridge over Sava river
Slavonski Brod is the seventh city by size in Croatia and has 64.612 inhabitants.
It is situated on Sava river, on an important intersection of roads - road running parallel to Sava river connects Zagreb with Belgrade, Central with Eastern Europe. At this strategic point a big bridge was built across Sava to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Brod na Savi, as it was called throughout history, was an important crossing point and border center.
Brod in Croatian means ship, so the name of the place Brod na Savi meant Ship on Sava. It was in 1934 that by the act of the minister Brod na Savi changed its name to Slavonski Brod - meaning Slavonian Ship. Twin industrial town that started to develop on the other side of Sava is known as Bosanski Brod - Bosnian Ship. They are still connected by the bridge which is one of the most important border crossings between Bosnia & Herzegovina and Croatia.
More Reviews (13)
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Slavonski Brod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Slavonian Ship on Sava river"
- "My home town"
- "Uno residency"
- "Sava River Crossing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slavonski Brod
- Hotels in Slavonski Brod
- Transportation in Slavonski Brod
- Nightlife in Slavonski Brod
- Restaurants in Slavonski Brod
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Clairsville
- Tepelene Hotels
- Ballyboden Hotels
- Bambang Hotels
- Salua Hotels
Badges & Stats in Slavonski Brod
- 16 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Slavonski Brod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slavonski Brod
- Posted in Travel Zagreb Forum "Re: Zagreb - Plitvicka jezera -..."
- Commented on one of weed6886's Slavonski Brod travel pages
- updated a Slavonski Brod Travel Page "Slavonian Ship on Sava river"
- Uploaded a Photo to "IBM cultural centre"
- Wrote a Review Tourist Board of Slavonski Brod in Slavonski Brod Favorites
Photos in Slavonski BrodSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos