"The Pearl of Northern Croatia" Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin by diocletianvs

Varazdin Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 378 photos

Varazdin.hr

Dubrovnik is often called Pearl of the Adriatic, and I am convinced that Varazdin definitely deserves to be called the Pearl of the Northern Croatia. It was Croatian capital in the 18th century, and the seat of Croatian Royal Council. In 1776 a big fire almost completely destroyed the town. However bad it looked at that time, it caused the administrative center of Croatia to move to Zagreb and Varazdin flourished in the years following the big fire when numerous baroque palaces were built all over the town.

Today Zagreb is choking in its traffic and high prices while people of Varazdin enjoy in one of the best places to live in Croatia. The economy of the town is prosperous, all distances are easy to walk, the bicycle is a norm (even a mayor of Varazdin uses one to get to work), street life is so rich they even have a street festival and baroque does not stop only on building facades but goes inside in the form of an annual baroque festival.

While Dubrovnik may be a great place that shows how people used to live and build their cities in the past, Varazdin is a showcase how people can enjoy living in a historic setting today.

Definitely do not miss Varazdin if you are passing through this part of Croatia. You will never feel like in a historic theme park here, but you may want to stay here forever!

**********
In October 2006 it was already fifth or sixth time I was attending a conference or a congress in Varazdin's Turist hotel. Only a bit more than 30 minutes ride from Zagreb, Varazdin is a popular congress venue. Still, I was ashamed to admit that my visits to this place were limited only to the congress hall of the Turist hotel and few sporadic walks during the lunch breaks.
So this time I decided to stay one night longer and spend a Sunday morning exploring this city. As the locals were soaking last rays of October sun in numerous cafes and the church bells were giving a unique concert I enjoyed my walk through the streets of this beautiful town asking myself why I don't visit more often when I need to "re-charge my batteries".

• Pros:Historic buildings, easy life, street culture
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:The Pearl of Northern Croatia
  • Last visit to Varazdin: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Bog-We saw as much as we could in one month-but never got to here, now regret we could not see it. You did a wonderful job of showing the beauty. I learned some of the language-videnja.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Varazdin looks charming and a Baroque Festival in autumn sounds perfect. Next year maybe... this year, it's back to Brac in May. leyle

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Excellent page about this charming Croatian town! Great photos too! Your comment about the hotel receptionist was so funny!!

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Poor Francisans! Did you walk in top hat too? And how much grames is a 'dag'? I'd like to try the recipe. Great page, thanks!

• AUSSIECRO's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2008 at 11:40 AM

VARAZDINS MALTARS PANSION bed and breakfest located on ZAGREBACKA ROAD located near the hotel turist is a good afford place to stay just over 70 euros for doubles per night,,its worth to have a look from Zagreb ,and has MACCAS to

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Thats a nice place and a lot of great architecture, thanks for sharing ! Varazdin is well known by a song of an Operetta, but I had no idea it would be in Croatia !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Glad to see they have an early Helmer theater, even before he teamed up with Fellner. I've been to their theaters in Zürich, Augsburg, Gießen, Wiesbaden, etc. They had a great reputation for keeping to schedule & budget, and complying with safety norms.

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 5:17 PM

When we visit Zagreb we will have to fit this in too!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Nice place. Ciao!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 5:58 AM

Niksa, as always a fabulous, interesting and funny page. If I ever make it to this lovely gem of Croatia, then I will definitely try to make the receptionist of Hotel Tourist smile. *verybigsmile*. I like the plaque to Mr Nobody and his skyscraper. :o)

Badges & Stats in Varazdin

Have you been to Varazdin?

Latest Activity in Varazdin