"VukoWar" Top 5 Page for this destination Vukovar by diocletianvs

Vukovar Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 122 photos

Vukovar.hr

I knew everything about Vukovar. At least I thought so. I was watching the news on TV in 1991, as everyone else in Croatia. Going to sleep with the voice of Sinisa Glavasevic, reporter of the local radio station. Waking up with his voice again, as he was counting the hundreds of shells that hit the town during the night. He used to end his reports with words 'Vukovar will never surrender'. For three months.
At the end I belive he didn't believe those words himself.

And then came November 18th, 1991. After three months of siege and constant bombing Yugoslav army and Serbian forces finally conquered Vukovar. Images of its non-Serb inhabitants leaving the town were saved in memory of each of us. With pale grey skin, after months spent in basements, old people and children were forced to leave their hometown with small plastic bags. All they were allowed to take with them.

Soon there was a huge information hole. Vukovar became a symbol word. And statictics followed: 600 killed defenders. More than 1,000 killed civilians. 10,000 people that were brought to concentration camps to Serbia. 600 persons that didn't return from those camps. 200 persons that were taken from Vukovar hospital and killed at Ovcara farm.
The cold statistics was only occasionally interrupted. Like when the body of killed Sinisa Glavasevic was identified.

I knew the rough numbers. I knew there was no house in town that wasn't totally destroyed by bombing. I knew all historic monuments of Vukovar were systematically destroyed by Serbian forces in order to erase any sign of its European heritage.

And I thought I was ready to visit Vukovar again after the war. After all, I've seen on TV all those houses that were reconstructed. I've seen new houses that were built. It's been 13 years since the largest tragedy in history of Vukovar. It's been 7 years after the peaceful re-integration of Vukovar.

But in fact, I knew nothing. And I felt nothing. I was totally shocked by my emotional reaction when I visited Vukovar again in 2004, first time after the war. Walking among the ruins of baroque houses I could only feel that at this moment I was unable to produce any voice. And that tears are coming down my cheeks.

After hearing the local priest telling us about the deliberate destruction of the church and the monastery I was still unable to understand the strength he had when at the end he called us all to forgive them. Can I thank God I'm not religious?

• Last visit to Vukovar: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2004

• Dec 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM

Hello Nicksa, I'm speechless, thanks for sharing.

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 12:56 AM

scary & moving

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 2:32 AM

Idem u kolovozu.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 12:45 PM

A very emotional page. Thanks for showing and telling the reality and the background information.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 8:33 AM

This page is a great tribute to the people of Vukovar. It can't have been easy to write - thank you for making the effort to bring us these words and pictures. leyle

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Thank you for the moving and personal account that yet again highlights the folly of war. One of the great pages on VT.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 7:40 AM

Written with such emotion. Such a sad and moving page. Some of us have no idea how these people suffered.

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 4:14 AM

any place to rest in vukovar??

• Jun 2, 2005 at 8:34 PM

It should be noted that the BBC reports: “A survey last week suggested that only half the Serbian population believes the Srebrenica massacre actually took place.” Thank you for reminding us and sharing the truth of what happen in Vukovar.

• maltese24's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2005 at 9:34 AM

hi there! very interesting pages, i visited vukovar in 2002 and it left me a really big impression...i wont forget that city!

Badges & Stats in Vukovar

Have you been to Vukovar?

Latest Activity in Vukovar