Bristol Local Custom Tips by diocletianvs Top 5 Page for this destination
Bristol Local Customs: 21 reviews and 28 photos
After the Bristol harbour lost its role as the most important element of Bristol's economy the city started looking for other possibilities. In the second half of the 20th Century one of the most important industries in the city was the aviation industry, located in nearby Filton. A supersonic aircraft - Concorde - was produced here and in Toulouse. The last flight of Concorde hapenned on November 26, 2003 when Concorde 216 flew from Heathrow to its final base in Bristol. After reaching the supersonic speed over the north Atlantic the aircraft flew over Clifton Suspension Bridge where only 600 people were allowed on to the structure to watch the flypast.
There is an initiative to build a museum at Filton that would have Concorde as its main attraction. Meanwhile, Bristol takes part in creation of another aviation icon - the wings of the superjumbo A380 are made in Filton.
I was thinking whether to put this under the Tourist trap, but I decided not to because it is very unlikely that you will note this spot in Bristol as a tourist.
Next to the Create Centre there is an abandoned rail bridge and some abandoned rail tracks. This is now labeled as a "Butterfly junction" park. Apparently, some butterflies were spotted here not long ago and this was enough for the Parks departments to put a sign here.
I tried really hard, but I must admit that I did not see a single butterfly there. In fact, I saw no other living creature - just some abandoned train tracks and wild vegetation.
How do you keep butterflies at one place anyway?
Bristol's "At Centre" is all dedicated to science and explorations of the world that surrounds us. Next to the centre, on Millennium square there is a cool device that has a touch-screen displaying the planets of the Solar System, as well as the Moon. When you press on certain planet's image essential information is shown on display.
But for us kids the most interesting thing is the arrow that will rotate in direction of that planet, while the LED display will show the distance. Very cool!
Archibald Alexander Leach
Archibald Alexander Leach was one of the most famous people from Bristol, and he finally got his statue in newly developed Harbourside area.
Archibald Alec Leach was born in Bristol in 1904. He attended Bishop Road Primary School. An only child, he had a confused and unhappy childhood. After being expelled from Fairfield Grammar School in Bristol in 1918, he joined the "Bob Pender stage troupe" and travelled with the group as a stilt walker to the United States in 1920 In the US he performed on the stage at The Muny in St. Louis, Missouri.
After some success in light Broadway comedies, he came to Hollywood in 1931, where he acquired the name Cary Grant . The rest is history.
More Reviews (25)
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Bristol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alright my lover?"
- "Far beyond the shrinking skies"
- "Floating around Bristol"
- "Brissle - a gert lush areal!"
- "Bristol/Brizzle - Capitawl of the Southwest"
- "Welcome to Brizzol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bristol
- Hotels in Bristol
- Transportation in Bristol
- Nightlife in Bristol
- Restaurants in Bristol
- Shopping in Bristol
- Warnings and Dangers in Bristol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bristol
- 29 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Bristol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bristol
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
- Clifton Suspension Bridge- 26 Reviews, 42 Photos
- SS Great Britain and the Matthew- 18 Reviews, 32 Photos
- The Old Town- 18 Reviews, 27 Photos
- @Bristol- 13 Reviews, 16 Photos
- The Floating Harbour- 17 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Bristol Zoo Gardens- 9 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Cabot Tower and Brandon Hill- 11 Reviews, 26 Photos
- College Green and the Cathedral- 19 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Clifton and Durdham Downs- 6 Reviews, 11 Photos
- NOT Bristol!- 15 Reviews, 9 Photos
See All Bristol Things to Do