"Floating around Bristol" Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol by diocletianvs
Bristol Travel Guide: 747 reviews and 1,666 photos
In February 2007 I had an opportunity to attend a conference in Bristol. This was my first visit to the UK - after reading most of the 1,222 pages of Rough Guide to Britain I decided to spend an extra day in Bristol followed by day and a half in nearby Cardiff.
City's history of an important port and industrial centre was promising. (After all, Genova and Hamburg are high on my list of favorite places I've visited.) Like most of the old European harbours, old docks that formed port of Bristol have lost their economic importance but cranes and warehouses were still there, waiting to be integrated into some future development projects.
It is hard to say that Bristol is beautiful or charming. It is definitely one of the cities architects and planners should visit - there are lots of mistakes they can learn from. Bristol was badly damaged in bombings in the WWII and even more badly damaged by planners and architects in 1950s and 60s.
For charm you have to go up the hill to the suburb of Clifton, to enjoy 19th century terrace houses and crescents. But the real thing about Bristol still floats around its Floating Harbour - among warehouses, cranes and railway tracks. New shiny development areas, two universities and several research centres are signs of city's search of new ways in today's post-industrial era.
- Pros:The harbour - it even floats!
- Cons:The hills - although some of them are really scenic!
- In a nutshell:A specific charm of an industrial/port city trying to define itself in the post-industrial age.
After the Bristol harbour lost its role as the most important element of Bristol's economy the city started looking for... more travel advice
National Express runs an efficient coach service that connects Bristol with Heathrow and Gatwick airports so if you... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Bristol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alright my lover?"
- "Far beyond the shrinking skies"
- "Floating around Bristol"
- "Brissle - a gert lush areal!"
- "Bristol/Brizzle - Capitawl of the Southwest"
- "Welcome to Brizzol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bristol
- Hotels in Bristol
- Transportation in Bristol
- Nightlife in Bristol
- Restaurants in Bristol
- Shopping in Bristol
- Warnings and Dangers in Bristol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bristol
- 29 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Bristol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bristol
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos