"Floating around Bristol" Top 5 Page for this destination Bristol by diocletianvs

Bristol Travel Guide: 748 reviews and 1,671 photos

Bristol.uk

In February 2007 I had an opportunity to attend a conference in Bristol. This was my first visit to the UK - after reading most of the 1,222 pages of Rough Guide to Britain I decided to spend an extra day in Bristol followed by day and a half in nearby Cardiff.

City's history of an important port and industrial centre was promising. (After all, Genova and Hamburg are high on my list of favorite places I've visited.) Like most of the old European harbours, old docks that formed port of Bristol have lost their economic importance but cranes and warehouses were still there, waiting to be integrated into some future development projects.

It is hard to say that Bristol is beautiful or charming. It is definitely one of the cities architects and planners should visit - there are lots of mistakes they can learn from. Bristol was badly damaged in bombings in the WWII and even more badly damaged by planners and architects in 1950s and 60s.

For charm you have to go up the hill to the suburb of Clifton, to enjoy 19th century terrace houses and crescents. But the real thing about Bristol still floats around its Floating Harbour - among warehouses, cranes and railway tracks. New shiny development areas, two universities and several research centres are signs of city's search of new ways in today's post-industrial era.

• Pros:The harbour - it even floats!
  • Cons:The hills - although some of them are really scenic!
  • In a nutshell:A specific charm of an industrial/port city trying to define itself in the post-industrial age.
  • Last visit to Bristol: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 20, 2007

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Seems like I'm finally heading here this year! D

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2007 at 2:56 AM

Billy Budd, in Melville's book & Britten's opera, was on his way back to Bristol on a merchant ship when he was pressed into the British navy. I saw this opera again last night, that's why I'm interested in Bristol. (Also I changed busses there once.)

• Oct 28, 2007 at 2:36 AM

Mushy peas, Niksa! M U S H Y P E A S! Will be back l8er!

• Sep 26, 2007 at 12:33 AM

bravo niksa on this fantastic page! i really enjoyed reading about all the buildings, which one would expect on your pages! haha. KUTGW! ;-P

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 2:59 AM

Genuinely fascinating information! I learnt many unusual facts from your tips!! I fear my Top 5 position is under serious threat ;o((

• DanielF's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Excellent page. You do seem to have a liking for places with a glorious industrial past. Then you should definitely make of Liege and other parts of Wallonia one of your future destinations. Regards

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 5:18 AM

Fab new page. Bristol is still very high on my "Must visit in the UK" list. I like your detailed info about the Suspension Bridge and the At Centre. With 5 Tourist Information Centres Bristol seems to be well prepared for Tourists like me. ;-)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 5:13 AM

Oh, new page coming up :) OK, I will check it out when ready.

Badges & Stats in Bristol

Have you been to Bristol?

Latest Activity in Bristol