"Tapiola - New, 50 Years Old Garden City" Top 5 Page for this destination Espoo by diocletianvs
Espoo Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 219 photos
Tapiola is one of the best known “New Towns” that were built in the 20th Century throughout the world as the response to the needs of urbanisation and pressures to the existing towns. Although Tapiola administratively belongs to town of Espoo it is in fact the satellite town of Helsinki.
But Tapiola is more than the satellite town – soon after the building of the Garden City began in 1953 it developed its own identity that soon became famous not only in Finland but throughout the world.
Tapiola is the real mecca for the lovers of modern urban planning and modern architecture, a beautiful example of the century-old idea of living close to nature. It is no wonder that this modernist idea was realized in Finland, where building was always according to this principle.
In September 2003 Tapiola was celebrating its first half century. It is still a New Town, especially for someone like me, since the town where I was born was recently celebrating its 1700 years. It was nice to compare the two.
Oh yes, this was an architectural trip, so my tips are mainly concentrated on architecture of Tapiola :-)
- In a nutshell:For the lovers of Modernist architecture.
Not only the trees were preserved during the building of Tapiola, but also a lot of the animal world is still... more travel advice
As we enter Tapiola from the highway connecting it with Helsinki, the first point is a big roundabout set into the vast... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Espoo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tapiola - New, 50 Years Old Garden City"
- "My home town is a town"
- "My hometown"
- "Espoo by the sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Espoo
- Hotels in Espoo
- Transportation in Espoo
- Nightlife in Espoo
- Restaurants in Espoo
- Shopping in Espoo
- Warnings and Dangers in Espoo
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Espoo
- 23 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Espoo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Espoo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos