"City of rain and some nice benches" Top 5 Page for this destination Bergen by diocletianvs
Bergen Travel Guide: 945 reviews and 2,380 photos
Of the three largest Norwegian towns I find Bergen the most attractive. Once one of the central ports of the Hanseatic league of merchants which dominated trade in Northern Europe in the Middle Ages, it was he largest city in Scandinavia, and also a capital of Norway in 12th and 13th centuries. The old Bryggen area consists of medieval merchants timber buildings and is enlisted on UNESCO list of World Heritage.
The city centre is located on a peninsula that is dramatically surrounded by seven mountains. Clouds coming from the Atlantic simply hit the mountains and pour its content to Bergen – so it rains in average 275 days a year. It rained during my stay in Bergen, so you’ll find “authentic”, “wet” photographs.
Bergen is investing a lot into renewal of public spaces, especially in central area that was recently closed to traffic. Small squares, streets and plazas are competing with richness of materials and quality of details. If you’re interested in urban design like me, be careful not to watch at the floor too much. Otherwise you’ll be bumping into lampposts and other obstacles on your way like me.
Since I was hosted by local people (who were the true opposite to the stereotype of “cold Norwegians"), you won’t find any tips on hotels or restaurants. (Try finding your own local hosts :)
- Pros:Norway's most beautiful city.
- Cons:It can be pretty rainy here...
- In a nutshell:A must see in Norway. (And it's close to the most beautiful fjords.)
Enjoy at one of the excellent small bakeries in Bergen that offer pastries, sandwiches and coffee. Skillingsboller (on... more travel advice
This is not a classic tourist trap, but a warning not to expect too much of the "famous Bergen Fish Market". Every... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Bergen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bergen - The city between the seven mountains"
- "The sunshine city of blue sky, blue sea, blue eyes"
- "Bergen in Norway"
- "The Fjord' Capital City"
- "City of rain and some nice benches"
- "Welcome to the land of the Vikings!"
- "Bergen in Fall"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bergen
- Hotels in Bergen
- Transportation in Bergen
- Nightlife in Bergen
- Restaurants in Bergen
- Shopping in Bergen
- Warnings and Dangers in Bergen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bergen
- 27 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Bergen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bergen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos