"City of rain and some nice benches" Top 5 Page for this destination Bergen by diocletianvs

Bergen Travel Guide: 945 reviews and 2,380 photos

Bergen.no

Of the three largest Norwegian towns I find Bergen the most attractive. Once one of the central ports of the Hanseatic league of merchants which dominated trade in Northern Europe in the Middle Ages, it was he largest city in Scandinavia, and also a capital of Norway in 12th and 13th centuries. The old Bryggen area consists of medieval merchants timber buildings and is enlisted on UNESCO list of World Heritage.

The city centre is located on a peninsula that is dramatically surrounded by seven mountains. Clouds coming from the Atlantic simply hit the mountains and pour its content to Bergen – so it rains in average 275 days a year. It rained during my stay in Bergen, so you’ll find “authentic”, “wet” photographs.

Bergen is investing a lot into renewal of public spaces, especially in central area that was recently closed to traffic. Small squares, streets and plazas are competing with richness of materials and quality of details. If you’re interested in urban design like me, be careful not to watch at the floor too much. Otherwise you’ll be bumping into lampposts and other obstacles on your way like me.

Since I was hosted by local people (who were the true opposite to the stereotype of “cold Norwegians"), you won’t find any tips on hotels or restaurants. (Try finding your own local hosts :)

• Pros:Norway's most beautiful city.
  • Cons:It can be pretty rainy here...
  • In a nutshell:A must see in Norway. (And it's close to the most beautiful fjords.)
  • Last visit to Bergen: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 29, 2003

• hooiluangoh's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 3:30 AM

Hi, thanks for the tips on Zagreb. Now I am looking at Norway and it seems you have been there. Thanks again for the tips of Oslo and Bergen!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM

narrow streets are very beautiful. 275 days of raining!! :-) of course, it is a good idea to have a roof above pavements somewhere :-)

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 2:35 AM

Interesting tips! We'll go in Bergen in the beginning of August! It seems that the chances to have sunny days are minimum...

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Great page! I real, Norway dont have very beautiful cities (my opinion), but the nature is very beautiful. What I saw here in pictures - old town looks quite unique! Raimis.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Excellent page despite the rain! I hope to visit there one day soon.

• TheView's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2006 at 5:20 AM

Hi do you know who the artist of the pavement is?

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 2:33 PM

Hi Niksa - how's things? -- I've been thinking of visiting Norway and really enjoyed this Bergen page of yours -- coming from Manchester I think I could handle the rain ! -- greetings from England.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 1:04 PM

Forecast and guide books are all wrong. 3 days in Bergen and it was blue sky, blue sea and sunshine. LOL

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 5:24 AM

That's alot of rain that falls in Bergen! I like the warning/danger tip about people with heart problems and the cost of souvenirs! :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2004 at 9:52 PM

I had not fully realized how lucky I was to be in Bergen on a sunny day (not all the time, no kidding !) but I missed the benches and the pavements. May be they were not there when I visited ! Great page

Badges & Stats in Bergen