"The Copper town" Røros by diocletianvs
Røros Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 159 photos
The history of Røros is the history of copper production. The town was founded in 1644 when the trial mining started – the first smelting works near the Hyttelva river started to operate in 1646. Røros copper works played a dominant economic role not only in the region but in whole Danish/Norwegian kingdom. (Whenever there was a war going on in Europe the town economy was flourishing).
The town grew quickly, with people coming not only from Norway and the bordering Sweden but also from as far as Denmark and Germany in search of the employment in the mines. The town was built with two parallel main streets and a rectangular grid system with dominantly wooden houses.
The last working mine closed in 1986. In 1980 Røros was appointed the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The whole region is rich in cultural heritage from the mining industry.
- Pros:Cultural World Heritage site - industrial landscape
- Cons:Can be extremely cold in the winter
If you're not making only a one-day trip to Røros it is a good idea to hire one of the numerous cabins in the... more travel advice
Some 30 km north of Røros, in Hessdalen, you can observe Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs)! At the end of 1981 through... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Røros Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Copper town"
- "Røros, Designated by UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "Røros - A Norwegian Mining Town"
- "A UNESCO world heritage sight!"
- "Røros - World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Røros
- Hotels in Røros
- Transportation in Røros
- Nightlife in Røros
- Shopping in Røros
- Warnings and Dangers in Røros
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Røros
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Røros?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Røros
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos