"City of parks" Top 5 Page for this destination Malmö by diocletianvs
Malmö Travel Guide: 479 reviews and 1,037 photos
Malmö is the largest city of Skåne, fast changing region of South Sweden which is a part of the dynamic Öresund region recently connected with the bridge.
Although with more than 250,000 inhabitants Malmö still has the calm and quiet character of a small town. Its shipyards and large factories are now history, and new University with more than 20,000 students is an attempt in search of the new town identity in post-industrial era.
If you're looking for great nightlife options then Copenhagen, only 30 minutes by train accross the bridge, is probably the better option.
But Malmö offers attractions of a different kind – its historic center is also interesting and renewed but not overcrowded. The biggest attraction of Malmö are its large parks and open spaces, offering an excellent opportunity to escape from the everyday rush or from overplanned Scandinavian tourist itineraries.
Traditional Kungsparken and Slottsparken offer peaceful walks into another time, popular Pildammsparken offers great opportunities for birdwatching or slow walks around the lake, and if you prefer recreation of any kind then go jogging to Bulltoftaparken or swimming at Ribersborgs beach. And don’t miss new parks in Västra Hamnen area, whether you’re looking at deep hidden meanings of their composition or just want to observe the sunset over the Öresund strait.
Malmö has a peaceful rhythm of a small town – don’t look for spectacular attractions, go with its slow tempo and find your own peace before rushing in direction of more dynamic Copenhagen or Stockholm.
I arrived to Malmö with the plan to see its parks and planned to stay there for two days, including the trip to nearby Lund. I ended skipping the Lund trip and returning to Malmö again for half a day after a frantic three days in Copenhagen, simply recharging my batteries.
- Pros:Green and quiet place - with all the fun of Copenhagen accross the bridge
- Cons:It seems like everyone goes accross the bridge, sometimes is's too quiet
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the silence!
Malmö's position at strategic point of entrance to Sweden and Scandinavian peninsula means that it has excellent... more travel advice
This is the bicycle parking (platform) close to the Railway station in Malmö. I would say people love to use bicycles... more travel advice
diocletianvs' Related Pages
Malmö Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Continental Malmö - city of parks, art, nightlife"
- "Beautiful City of Parks and Museums"
- "City of parks"
- "Malmo - Swedish gem by the Oresund Bridge"
- "Malmö New Year"
- "Where the future faces the past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malmö
- Hotels in Malmö
- Transportation in Malmö
- Nightlife in Malmö
- Restaurants in Malmö
- Shopping in Malmö
- Warnings and Dangers in Malmö
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malmö
- 24 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Malmö?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malmö
Photos in MalmöSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 78 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 57 reviews, 87 photos
- Hudi Bitek Intro, 44 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varazdin Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plitvicka Jezera National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cologne Intro, 43 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Solin Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cardiff Intro, 31 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Nordrhein-Westfalen Intro, 41 reviews, 44 photos