"Sanctuary of Santa Teresa de Los Andes" Santa Teresa by tommix
Santa Teresa Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
Saint Teresa of Los Andes is the first, only and very revered Chilean Saint. There is a chapel, her tomb, a small exhibition of her life, history of her canonization and a small Carmelit Sisters Convent.
"Love is the fusion of two souls in one in order to bring about mutual perfection." - Santa Teresa de Los Andes
Juanita Fernandez Solar was born in Santiago de Chile, on 13 July 1900. When she had completed her schooling, she entered the Carmelite monastery of Los Andes in order to make a hidden offering of her life for mankind. Having taken the name Teresa of Jesus, she had been in the monastery for just eleven months when she died of a painful illness on 12 April 1920. On the day of her death, and ever since, huge crowds of people were mysteriously drawn to Los Andes. They go in search of one who knew how to love.
On March 21, 1993, at the canonization of Saint Teresa of the Andes, Pope John Paul II declared: "To a secularized society which lives with its back turned to God, I have the joy to present, as a model of the everlasting youth of the Gospel, this Chilean Carmelite. She brings to men of today the limpid witness of a life which proclaims that it is in the love, adoration and service of God that grandeur and joy, freedom and the full realization of the human creature are found. The life of Blessed Teresa cries out softly from the cloister: God alone suffices!"
The sanctuary is located near towns of Auco and Rinconada, something about 70 km from Santiago.
You can see more ex-votos fron the Sanctuary of Santa Teresa de Los Andes in my travelogue
- In a nutshell:You don't need to be a Christian to enjoy the serenity and beauty of this place
One of the most impressive parts of the Sanctuary area are two huge walls filled with ex-votos. Ex-votos are basicly the... more travel advice
tommix's Related Pages
Santa Teresa Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Santa Teresa
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Santa Teresa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santa Teresa
Photos in Santa TeresaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Santiago Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaffna Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Teresa Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Ishan Koyu Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dortkilise Koyu Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos