"First Ceylonese Capital" Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura by tommix
Anuradhapura Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 274 photos
Anuradhapura was established around a cutting from the 'tree of enlightenment', the Buddha's fig tree, brought there in the 3rd century B.C. by Sanghamitta, the founder of an order of Buddhist nuns. It wa the first Ceylonese political and religious capital that flourished for 1,300 years and was abandoned after an invasion in 993. Hidden away in dense jungle for many years, re-discovered by Brits in 1820, the splendid site, 50 km large, with its palaces, monasteries and monuments worth at least one full day of visit!
- In a nutshell:One of three "poles" of so-called "historical triangle". The others two are Polonnaruwa and Kandy
Anuradhapura is surrounded by lakes - Nuwara Wewa, Tissa Wewa and Bussawak Kulama are the biggest of them. Lakesides are... more travel advice
When visiting the Ancient City pay attention to the monkeys. Especially if you will buy peanuts for them. Not all of... more travel advice
tommix's Related Pages
Anuradhapura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ancient City of Anuradhapura"
- "First Ceylonese Capital"
- "The first great capital"
- "Ancient Capital of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)"
- "The Ancient city...."
- "The world’s mightiest masses of monumental masonry"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Anuradhapura
- Hotels in Anuradhapura
- Transportation in Anuradhapura
- Restaurants in Anuradhapura
- Shopping in Anuradhapura
- Warnings and Dangers in Anuradhapura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Anuradhapura
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Anuradhapura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anuradhapura
- Posted in Travel Sri Lanka Forum "trains"
- Wrote a Review Spend a little time on the lakeside in Anuradhapura Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spend a little time on the lakeside"
- Commented on one of jennifermueller's Anuradhapura travel pages
- updated a Anuradhapura Travelogue "Friendly monkeys in Ancient City"
Top 10 Pages
- Santiago Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaffna Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Teresa Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Ishan Koyu Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dortkilise Koyu Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos