"Kandy - World Heritage City" Kandy by tommix
Kandy Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 714 photos
This sacred Buddhist site, popularly known as the city of Senkadagalapura, was the last capital of the Sinhala kings whose patronage enabled the Dinahala culture to flourish for more than 2,500 years until the occupation of Sri Lanka by the British in 1815. Kandy is also the most visited city in Sri Lanka, just after Colombo. Among the most picturesque cities in the island, the importance of Kandy is mainly due to it being the home of the Dalada Maligawa - Temple of the Tooth, which houses the Sacred Tooth Relic of the Buddha. Here visitors can observe the ancient traditions of drumming and sacred chanting in honour of the Tooth Relic, being performed several times each day.
Because of the history, pageantry and veneration associated with this city, Kandy is classed as a World Heritage City by UNESCO.
tommix's Related Pages
Kandy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE CITY OF KANDY."
- "hell is a piece of earth"
- "Kandy - Last of the Sinhalese Kingdom"
- "Green hills and orange skies"
- "Kandy, Capital of the Hill Country"
- "Capital of Hill Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kandy
- Hotels in Kandy
- Transportation in Kandy
- Nightlife in Kandy
- Restaurants in Kandy
- Shopping in Kandy
- Warnings and Dangers in Kandy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kandy
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kandy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kandy
Top 10 Pages
- Santiago Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaffna Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Teresa Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Ishan Koyu Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dortkilise Koyu Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos