"Sigiriya - another UNESCO's World Heritage site" Sigiriya by tommix
Sigiriya Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 272 photos
The ruins of the palace complex and clifftop citadel built by Kassapa I - a patricidal usurper of the throne of Anuradhapura - lies on the steep slopes and at the summit of a granite peak standing some 370 m high (the 'Lion's Rock', which dominates the jungle from all sides).
A series of galleries and staircases emerging from the mouth of a gigantic lion constructed of bricks and plaster provide access to the site.
Citadel were built by Kassapa as a bulwark against attack by his half-brother Mogallana, the rightful heir to the throne. Instead of staying behind his walls when Mogallana finally launched his bid for the throne in year 491, Kasyapa went out to fight, was defeated and committed suicide. Mogallana was crowned king in 495 and returned the throne to Anuradhapura, where he reigned for the next 18 years. Sigiriya was then gradually abandoned and fell into disuse, and its treasures were not rediscovered until the 19th century.
tommix's Related Pages
Sigiriya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sigiriya - The Lion Rocks"
- "Sigiriya - Rock Frostress"
- "Sigiriya Rock Fortress"
- "Fortress in the Middle of Nowhere"
- "The Lion Fortress."
- "the lion mountain"
- "Good Base for the cultural triangle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sigiriya
- Hotels in Sigiriya
- Transportation in Sigiriya
- Restaurants in Sigiriya
- Warnings and Dangers in Sigiriya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sigiriya
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Sigiriya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sigiriya
Top 10 Pages
- Santiago Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaffna Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anuradhapura Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Teresa Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sri Lanka Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ubud Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Ishan Koyu Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dortkilise Koyu Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos