"Alcobaca - UNESCO site" Top 5 Page for this destination Alcobaça by salinhopt
Alcobaça Travel Guide: 128 reviews and 468 photos
The main feature of the town is essentially the Abbey that proudly presents a long and somber facade with 18th Century embellishments. This austerity is further emphasized in the cloisters with its apt name of Cloister of Silence. In contrast within the Abbey is the massive kitchen with a running stream specially diverted to pass through as a supply of fresh water. The open area of the kitchen chimney is large enough to take a whole ox for roasting. The surround to the sacristy doorway is an outstanding example of Manueline decoration. In 1794, Lord Beckford visited the Abbey and commented that he found some 300 monks living in a very splendid manner!
- In a nutshell:Quem passa por Alcobaca, nao passa sem la voltar ...
The story of D. Ines de castro is like a fairy tall. She was killed by the king D. Afonso IV, because i didn't want the... more travel advice
Inside the kitchen you can feel the invironment of old times. Giant ovens served to prepare great amounts of food. The... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Alcobaça Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alcobaca and the West"
- "Alcobaça - known for its Monastery & more !!"
- "Alcobaca - UNESCO site"
- "Alcobaça's Gem"
- "Alcobaca, UNESCO World Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alcobaça
- Hotels in Alcobaça
- Transportation in Alcobaça
- Nightlife in Alcobaça
- Restaurants in Alcobaça
- Shopping in Alcobaça
- Warnings and Dangers in Alcobaça
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alcobaça
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Alcobaça?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alcobaça
Photos in AlcobaçaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos