"Batalha - UNESCO site" Top 5 Page for this destination Batalha by salinhopt
Batalha Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 439 photos
The Village of the Batalha, while tourist destination, is one of the most important national level, essentially for the existence of the Monastery of Saint Marie of the Victory. The poet Alfonso Lopes Vieira, classified it as "the most important monument", due to its historical importance.
The Monastery of the Dominicans of Batalha was built to commemorate the victory of the Portuguese over the Castilians at the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385. It was to be the Portuguese monarchy's main building project for the next two centuries. Here a highly original, national Gothic style evolved, profoundly influenced by Manueline art, as demonstrated by its masterpiece, the Royal Cloister.
- Pros:One of the best Monaterys in Portugal!
"Monastery of Batalha" was added to Unesco's World Heritage List in 1983. National Gothic style was formed, profoundly... more travel advice
Stunning filigree designs ornament the coral-stone entrance to the seven unfinished chapels. The capelas, under a "sky... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Batalha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Batalha, Portugal"
- "Batalha - UNESCO site"
- "VT TOUR TO BATALHA"
- "Batalha - [The "Batlle"]"
- "The Monastery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Batalha
- Hotels in Batalha
- Transportation in Batalha
- Restaurants in Batalha
- Shopping in Batalha
- Warnings and Dangers in Batalha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Batalha
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Batalha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Batalha
Photos in BatalhaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos