"Camara de Lobos - The Winston Churchill landscape" Top 5 Page for this destination Câmara de Lobos by salinhopt
Câmara de Lobos Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 71 photos
Its name was given by the explorers Joao Goncalves Zarco and Trist?o Vaz Teixeira, because of the shape of its bay and because there were many monk seals (lobos) back then.
Camara de Lobos is home of the Poncha, a mixture of lemon juice, honey and sugarcane spirit and is readily available at the many local taverns.
If you like to take photos - you will warm to the sights of Camara de Lobos and it's inhabitants.
It was this traditional fishing village that lies five kilometres from Funchal that inspired the late Sir Winston Churchill to paint its lovely surroundings.
In January 1950 when he was still writting the last book of the II world war, Churchill came to Madeira island and started to do something he loved but never did befor, painting! And the scenary was the once village of Camara de Lobos
" Hindo da Ribeira dos Socorridos para Ocidente hum quarto de legoa, esta uma aldeya que chama o Camara de Lobos, perto do mar, que tem huma calheta pequena e uma furna onde durmiam e dormem ainda lobos, de que tomou nome o logar; e os capitaes da ilha o de camaras, pelos achar nella o primeiro capitam Joao Goncalves Zarco, quando ali desembarcou a primeira vez, como ja tenho dito."
by GASPAR FRUTUOSO
- Pros:The landmarks, the traditions, the people, the food...
- Cons:As in most fishing villages people are quite poor
- In a nutshell:Simple people with good heart
The urban growth of Estreito created an important economic and social region. For this reason, this center became... more travel advice
Found amoungst the vineyards on the southern slopes of the main wine producing area of Madeira just below the village of... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Câmara de Lobos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Camara de Lobos - The Winston Churchill landscape"
- "Welcome to Camara de Lobos on Madeira"
- "Atmospheric Fishing Town"
- "Câmara de Lobos"
- "Idyllic fishing village with a nice vibe."
- "Câmara de Lobos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Câmara de Lobos
- Hotels in Câmara de Lobos
- Transportation in Câmara de Lobos
- Nightlife in Câmara de Lobos
- Restaurants in Câmara de Lobos
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Câmara de Lobos
- 13 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Câmara de Lobos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Câmara de Lobos
Photos in Câmara de LobosSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos