"Coimbra - A city to discover" Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra by salinhopt
Coimbra Travel Guide: 313 reviews and 742 photos
Birthplace of six kings and the seat of Portugal's first university, reputedly the second-oldest in the world, Coimbra's tradition runs deep, with black-caped students swarming the town during term time. Occupied by the Moors, the city was captured by the Christians in 1064, becoming the capital of the country under the first Portuguese dynasty. The capital was transferred to Lisbon in the 13th century. After 1567 it was one of three seats (with Lisbon and Évora) of the Inquisition in Portugal, who were particularly active here in the 1620s.
The city nowadays is quite degraded. I found many of the main buildings in bad state of conservation. It was sad to see that the 3rd biggest city in Portugal was abandoned this way. Coimbra deserves more from Portuguese government. Any way it's always worth to visit Coimbra.
- Pros:Fantastic buildings, arquitecture and landscapes...
- Cons:Quite degraded... :(
All over the country you'll find wonderfull tiles, some of them very old. Coimbra is no exception, sou you'll find them... more travel advice
Coimbra is famous above all for its ancient university: one of the world's first. Coimbra consists of an upper and lower... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Coimbra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coimbra - A city to discover"
- "Coimbra is wonderful city."
- "A Portuguese Gem"
- "Coimbra through my eyes..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Coimbra
- Hotels in Coimbra
- Transportation in Coimbra
- Nightlife in Coimbra
- Restaurants in Coimbra
- Shopping in Coimbra
- Warnings and Dangers in Coimbra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Coimbra
- 26 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Coimbra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Coimbra
Photos in CoimbraSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos