"Desertas Island's - The refuge of the monk seal" Deserta Grande by salinhopt
Deserta Grande Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 16 photos
The Ilhas Desertas (total area of 1 421 hectares) include the Ilheu Chao, Deserta Grande and Bugio. They are at about 22 miles to the southeast of the town of Funchal. The islands constitute the last refuge of the monk seal named Monachus Monachus. The presence of these mammals led the Regional Government of Madeira to create the protected area of Ilhas Desertas in 1990. In 1992 the European Council classified these islands as Bioenergetics Reserve. It is important to mention that the total ban of scuba fishing in this reserve. Advance permission from the park authorities is also needed before any vessel can anchor or visit Deserta Grande Island. No boats are allowed to sail through the southern part of the reserve.
Deserta Grande by air.
- In a nutshell:The last refuge of the sea monk in the Atlantic!
Fea's Petrel Pterodroma feae is an extremely rare and threatened Macaronesian endemic petrel, known to exist only on... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Deserta Grande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Desertas Island's - The refuge of the monk seal"
- "Home of the "Monk Seals""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deserta Grande
- Transportation in Deserta Grande
- Warnings and Dangers in Deserta Grande
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deserta Grande
- 2 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Deserta Grande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deserta Grande
Photos in Deserta GrandeSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos