"Estremoz - More than you can expect" Estremoz by salinhopt
Estremoz Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 32 photos
The 13th Century Castle that dominates the town has been greatly restored. The strong fortification of the town acted as a strategic deterrent in the War of Independence (1640-1648), between the Spanish King Philip II and the Duke of Braganca João IV. Later in the War of the Two Brothers (1832-1834), the town also played another influencing role when Dom Miguel was defeated in his claim for the throne by his brother Pedro IV known for his Liberal views.
The region produces excellent marble and has rich and varied traditions to handicraft, which is best seen in the fair at the end of April. Its traditional cuisine is also of a quality to please the illustrious guests it has lodged throughout its long history.
- Pros:The climat, the wonderfull gastronomy and the beautifull architecture!
She is reputed to have founded charities and hospitals. In Portugal she is remembered for the miracle of the roses in... more travel advice
The region produces excellent marble and has rich and varied traditions to handicraft, which is best seen in the fair at... more travel advice
salinhopt's Related Pages
Estremoz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Estremoz - More than you can expect"
- "In the interior of Portugal"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Estremoz
- 17 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Estremoz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estremoz
Photos in EstremozSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 78 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 76 reviews, 105 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porto Santo Island Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 43 photos
- Portugal Intro, 40 reviews, 40 photos
- Santana Intro, 27 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coimbra Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Óbidos Intro, 20 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cascais Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Machico Intro, 21 reviews, 23 photos